St Michael at the North Gate
|St Michael at the North Gate|
|St Michael at the North Gate, Oxford|
The Saxon tower of St Michael at the North Gate
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Associated people||William Morris and Jane Burden married here in 1859.|
|Vicar(s)||The Very Revd Bob Wilkes|
St Michael at the North Gate is a church in Cornmarket Street, at the junction with Ship Street, in central Oxford, England. The church is so-called because this is the location of the original north gate of Oxford when it was surrounded by a city wall.
Originally built around 1000–1050, with the tower of 1040 still in existence, the church is Oxford's oldest building. The church tower is Saxon. The architect John Plowman rebuilt the north aisle and transept in 1833.
The Oxford Martyrs were imprisoned in the Bocardo Prison by the church before they were burnt at the stake in what is now Broad Street nearby, then immediately outside the city walls, in 1555 and 1556. Their cell door can be seen on display in the church's tower.
St Michael at the North Gate is the current City Church of Oxford. That title was originally held by St Martin's Church at Carfax, and then by All Saints Church in the High Street when St Martin's Church was demolished in 1896. City Church status passed to St Michael's when All Saints Church was declared redundant in 1971 (it was subsequently converted into the library of Lincoln College, Oxford). The City Church is where the Mayor and Corporation of Oxford are expected to worship. The parishes of St Martin's and All Saints are now amalgamated with St Michael's.
William Morris and Jane Burden (who lived off Holywell Street nearby) were married here on 25 April 1859. The marriage certificate is on view in the Saxon tower. John Wesley's pulpit is also on view here.
- Our History,St Michael at the North Gate Church website. Retrieved (and link updated) 2011-11-12.
- St Michael at the North Gate, Oxford, Sacred Destinations.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 295. ISBN 0-14-071045-0.
- St Michael at the Northgate: City Church of Oxford 1971–present, Oxford History.
- All Saints' Church. Oxford History.
- The City Church, Oxford, Mayors of Oxford.
- Morris, Jan (1988). "In Art". Oxford. Oxford University Press. p. 219. ISBN 978-0192820655.
- The Parish Church of St Michael at the North Gate with St Martin and All Saints, the City Church of Oxford: official website
- Photograph and other information on OxfordCityGuide.com
- MyTravelGuide.com information