St Thomas of Canterbury Church of England Aided Junior School
|Type||Voluntary aided junior school|
|Headteacher||Mr Dean Moran|
|Location||Sawyers Hall Lane
|DfE URN||115179 Tables|
|Houses||Canterbury, Chester, Lincoln, York|
St Thomas of Canterbury Junior School has a strong Christian ethos with links to St Thomas' church in Brentwood. The Mission Statement for the school is 'Realising the potential of every child within a caring Christian community."
The school was founded in 1835 (although some argue that it was founded as a Penny School in 1715 and there are records of such a school in Brentwood). The school is now sited in Sawyers Hall Lane, Brentwood. The school moved to Sawyers Hall Lane in 1967 and was opened by the Duchess of Kent - Princess Margaret- in 1968. The 40th Anniversary was celebrated in 2008.
The Head Teacher is currently Mr Dean Moran. There are 10 classes in the school. Each class has around 31 pupils. The school employs 13 teachers and more than 20 teaching assistants.
There are four Houses in the school and each child belongs to one of them. The names of the Houses reflect four large Cathedrals in England.
There are various activities through the year in which the houses compete with each other. The most significant of which is probably the Annual Sports Day.
CATS - Children Able To Speak
CATS is the school council. one child from each class are elected by their classmates to represent their views to the head master.
The school has the largest walking bus in Essex.
The school has a very strong tradition of sporting success. Its various teams include: athletics, basketball, chess, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby and waterpolo. Its successes are regularly recognised in the local paper.
The school has a strong tradition for music and recently built a music suite with three custom-built rooms including a recording studio and keyboard suite. Children are taught instrumental skills in lessons and peripatetically.
The school has received three consecutive Outstanding grades from OFSTED. Its most recent report is on the OFSTED website.
List of previous head teachers
- Mr Dean Moran (2012-present)
- Mr Andrew Scott-Evans (2008–2012)
- Mr John Knightbridge (1995-2008)
- Mrs Dorothy Smith
- Mr Watson
- Mr Richard Costin
- "Hundreds of balloons for birthday | This is Essex". Thisistotalessex.co.uk. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "BRENTWOOD: Best in county for walking bus | This is Essex". Thisistotalessex.co.uk. 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Great sporting year for St Thomas School | This is Essex". Thisistotalessex.co.uk. 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "Extra teacher boost music lessons for Brentwood pupils | This is Essex". Thisistotalessex.co.uk. 2008-09-05. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "St Thomas of Canterbury Church of England Aided Junior School, Brentwood". Ofsted. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Official Junior School Website
- St Thomas' Church Website
- St Thomas of Canterbury Infant School Website