Stacy Erwin Oakes
|Stacy Erwin Oakes|
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 95th district
|Preceded by||Andy Coulouris|
May 19, 1973 |
|Alma mater||Michigan State University College of Law, Ferris State University|
|Profession||Real Estate Developer, Attorney|
|Committees||Agriculture, Judiciary, Transportation, Michigan Legislative Council|
|Website||Stacy Erwin Oakes for State Rep (Campaign Website)
House of Representatives Website
Stacy Erwin Oakes (born May 19, 1973) is a politician from the U.S. state of Michigan. She is currently a Democratic Party member of the Michigan House of Representatives and Minority Whip  representing Michigan's 95th District (map), located in Saginaw County, which includes the cities of Saginaw and Zilwaukee, in addition to the following townships: Bridgeport Township, Buena Vista Township, Carrollton Township, James Township, Kochville Township, Spaulding Township, and Zilwaukee Township.
A product of the Saginaw Public School District, Oakes attended Houghton Elementary, Arthur Eddy Junior High, and Saginaw High School where she graduated from in 1991. She obtained a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Ferris State University and later earned her teaching certification while working as a corrections officer at the Saginaw Correctional Facility.
Oakes went on to earn her law degree from Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University while working for the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. While at MSU, she was an instructor for the Rental Housing Clinic.
After obtaining her teaching certificate, she accepted a position with the Saginaw Public School system and taught at Central Middle and Saginaw High schools while coaching girls' basketball.
Upon her graduation from law school, Oakes accepted a position with the Michigan House of Representatives as a policy analyst. She was later appointed to the Michigan Attorney General's office, serving under both Jennifer Granholm and Mike Cox. As an assistant attorney general, she prosecuted and defended cases throughout the state of Michigan. In February 2010, Oakes was appointed to the MSU College of Law Board of Trustees. Currently, Oakes serves as lead developer of Erwin Properties, LLC, which developed Erwin Senior Estates in Buena Vista Township.
Oakes was first elected as State Representative for the 95th District in a November 2010 special election to fill the remainder of the term for the seat vacated by Andy Coulouris. Under Michigan's legislative term limits, Coulouris was eligible for one additional term as a State Representative. As opposed to running for reelection in 2010, Coulouris instead announced that he would not seek a third term.
With the departure of Oakes' predecessor and her subsequent election to the Michigan House of Representatives, she served in the legislature for the lame duck session of 2010. In that same election, she also won a full term of her own which began in January 2011.
In December 2011, Oakes appeared as a guest on Off the Record (WKAR TV series), a weekly, political talk program broadcast statewide on PBS member stations throughout Michigan. Off The Record is hosted by Michigan's senior capitol correspondent, Tim Skubick. The topic of discussion included Michigan's Medical Marijuana law and Oakes' future political ambitions.
Oakes currently sits on the House Agricultural Committee and the House Judiciary Committee. In addition, she also sits on the Michigan Legislative Council. She will be running for a second term as State Representative for the 95th district in the November 2012 general election. In August 2012, Oakes was appointed to fill a vacancy on the House Transportation Committee.
In February 2012, it was announced that Rep. Oakes would be a member of Obama for America's Truth Team. The Truth Team intends to secure grassroots and online supporters to promote President Barack Obama’s presidential achievements while holding Republicans accountable.
On November 6, 2012, Rep. Oakes was reelected to a second term, defeating her opponent by a resounding 77.53% of the vote.
Representative Oakes is the daughter of James and Maggie Erwin. She is the youngest girl of six sisters and six brothers. Oakes and her husband, attorney Michael Oakes, have two children, Michael II and Kingston. They worship at New Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church in Saginaw.
Awards and other honors
- 2012 Ruby Award
|Michigan House of Representatives special election, 2010|
|Democratic||Stacy Erwin Oakes||13,775||72%||-|
|Republican||Sarge Harvey III||5,421||28%||-|
|Michigan House of Representatives general election, 2010|
|Democratic||Stacy Erwin Oakes||13,855||72%||-|
|Republican||Sarge Harvey III||5,577||28%||-|
|Michigan House of Representatives general election, 2012|
|Democratic||Stacy Erwin Oakes||27,778||77.53%||-|
- "95th District Map, 2011 Legislative Redistricting.". Michigan House of Representatives. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- Staff. "Profile". Campaign Website. Stacy Erwin Oakes. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Staff. "Board of Trustees: Stacy L. Erwin Oakes, '01". Michigan State University College of Law. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Parker, Kristen (February 15, 2010). "Stacy Erwin Oakes appointed to MSU College of Law Board of Trustees" (Press release). Michigan State University. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Engel, Justin L. (November 3, 2010). "Erwin Oakes earns state House 95th District seat". The Saginaw News. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Barber, Barrie (November 3, 2010). "Coulouris will skip re-election and won't campaign to become next Speaker of the House". The Saginaw News. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Staff. "Rep. Stacy Erwin Oakes's Bio". 95th District. Michigan House of Representatives. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Skubick, Tim (December 16, 2012). "Weekly Edition 4125". Off The Record. WKAR-TV. Retrieved January 25, 2012.
- Tower, Mark (August 16, 2012). "State Rep. Stacy Erwin Oakes appointed to House Committee on Transportation". The Saginaw News. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Burns, Gus (February 13, 2012). "Michigan Truth Team forms to promote Pres. Barack Obama's achievements, 'hold Republicans accountable'". The Saginaw News. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- Devereaux, Brad (November 6, 2012). "Rep. Stacy Erwin Oakes declares victory in 95th district seat race". The Saginaw News. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Sajdak Manning, Nancy (February 2012). "The 2012 RUBY Award Winners". Great Lakes Bay Regional Lifestyle Magazine (Great Lakes Bay Regional Lifestyle Magazine).
- Representative Stacy Erwin Oakes' Home Page
- Bills introduced by Rep. Oakes during 96th Legislature
- Campaign Website
|Michigan State House of Representatives|
|Michigan State Representative, 95th District