Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy
|Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy|
|Current holder(s)||Nathan MacKinnon|
|Awarded to the||Most Valuable player at the Memorial Cup|
The Stafford Smythe Memorial Trophy is a Canadian Hockey League (CHL) trophy, awarded to the most valuable player in the annual Memorial Cup Tournament. The current holder of the trophy is Nathan MacKinnon of the QMJHL's Halifax Mooseheads.
The trophy was first awarded in 1972 and won by Richard Brodeur of the QMJHL's Cornwall Royals.Taylor Hall won the award in 2009 and 2010 with the Windsor Spitfires making him the first repeat winner in the trophy's history. Through the 2011 season, it has been won 17 times by players on a team representing the Western Hockey League, 13 by those from the OHL and 9 by players from the QMJHL.
The Kamloops Blazers franchise has had the most MVPs at six: three as members of the Blazers, and three when the franchise was known as the New Westminster Bruins. The Cornwall Royals had three MVPs. Six players have won the Smythe Trophy despite their team failing to win the Memorial Cup: Danny Groulx (2002), Chris Madden (1998), Cameron Mann (1996), Sean McKenna (1982), Bart Hunter (1979) and Barry Smith (1975).
The trophy is named in honour of Stafford Smythe, the son of Conn Smythe. Stafford was part of a group that purchased controlling interest in the National Hockey League's (NHL) Toronto Maple Leafs in 1961, and served as the president of the Toronto franchise and Maple Leaf Gardens for many years. The Smythe family donated the trophy to the CHL in 1972, shortly after his death.
- "MasterCard Memorial Cup Individual Award Winners Announced". Canadian Hockey League. 2012-05-27.
- "Richard Brodeur player profile". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Parker, Jim (2010-05-24). "Hall eliminates any doubt of star quality". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Bell, Aaron (ed.). 2009–10 OHL Media Guide. Ontario Hockey League. p. 169.
- "Harold Ballard – True blue... and white!". Toronto Marlboros hockey club. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Gardens stock dispute". Ottawa Citizen. 1972-01-05. p. 34. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Junior hockey gets Smythe Trophy". Lawrence Journal-World. 1972-03-23. p. 15. Retrieved 2010-05-24.