|Service type||Bus services|
|Depots||5 (April 2013)|
|Fleet||233 (August 2013)|
In 1983, Bristol Omnibus Company's Gloucestershire based operations were transferred to the Cheltenham & Gloucester Omnibus Company. In 1985 the National Bus Company's Swindon and District operation was transferred to Cheltenham & Gloucester. In 1986, all the assets were transferred to a new legal entity, Western Travel.
In 1986, Western Travel was privatised in a management buyout and in December 1987 purchased Midland Red South. In 1993, Western Travel purchased City Circle of Gloucester before being sold to Stagecoach in November 1993.
In 1988, National Welsh Omnibus Services was privatised in a management buyout. After being placed in receivership in January 1992, the eastern division was purchased by Stagecoach South Wales. After the Western Travel purchase, the Wye & Dean operations were transferred to Stagecoach West.
In more recent years the operation was split into different divisions:
- Stagecoach in Cheltenham
- Stagecoach in the Cotswolds
- Stagecoach in Gloucester
- Stagecoach in Swindon
- Stagecoach in Wye & Dean
More recently all have been combined as Stagecoach West.
Stagecoach West operate five depots:
- Cheltenham (Lansdown Industrial Estate, Gloucester Road)
- Gloucester (London Road)
- Ross On Wye (Great Western Court)
- Stroud (London Road)
- Swindon (Eastcott Road)
Stagecoach West mainly operates services across Gloucestershire, South Herefordshire and Wiltshire, although some services serve a wide range of areas, these include places as far as Hereford, Monmouth and Oxford.
The Gloucester routes 1, 2/2a, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 12/12A
As of August 2013 the fleet consists of 233 buses and coaches.
- Companies House extract company no 2041677 Stagecoach West Limited formerly Western Travel Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1713578 Cheltenham & Gloucester Omnibus Company Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1556310 Midland Red (South) Limited
- Stagecoach acquires Western The Independent 27 November 1993
- Midland Red Depots MidlandRed.net
- Annual Report May 2012 - April 2013 Stagecoach West
- Stagecoach West Fleet Allocation Period 4 - 2013/14 Stagecoach 18 August 2013