From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the 1981 Chet Atkins and Lenny Breau album, see Standard Brands (album).
|Fate||merged with Nabisco, Inc.in 1981|
|Successor(s)||Nabisco Brands, Inc.|
|Founded||1929 (merger of Fleischmann Company,Royal Baking Powder Company,E. W. Gillett,Widlar Food Products and Chase & Sanborn Coffee Company)|
|Headquarters||New York, New York|
- Fleischmann Company
- Royal Baking Powder Company
- E. W. Gillett
- Widlar Food Products Company
- Chase & Sanborn Coffee Company
- "Morgan Mergers". Time (magazine). 1929. Retrieved 2008-08-04. "But also announced last week was a Morgan-managed merger of Fleischmann Co., Royal Baking Powder Co., and E. W. Gillett, Ltd. ... No transportation problem existed in 1868 when Charles and Maximilian Fleischmann, immigrants from Austria-Hungary, and James Gaff of Cincinnati, founded Gaff, Fleischmann & Co. at Riverside, Ohio. Their first great forward step was made in 1876 when they exhibited a Model Vienna Bakery at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. From the fame of this exhibit came an increased demand for Fleischmann's yeast. Soon there was a Fleischmann plant on Long Island, then another at Peekskill, N. Y, Guiding spirit of the early Fleischmann company was Charles Fleischmann, who died in 1897. It was under the leadership (1897-1925) of the late Julius Fleischmann that the company went through its major expansion period. Following his death, his brother, Major Max C. Fleischmann, stepped to the front."
- "Pennies from Leaven". Time (magazine). 1940. Retrieved 2008-08-04. "But in spite of interests that have ranged from racing horses to backing ballets, the outdoorsy Fleischmann clan had something to worry about last week. For the descendants and in-laws of old Charles Fleischmann, who started a great industry in 1868 by peddling yeast in Cincinnati, are now the holders of close to 10% of the 12,648,108 outstanding common shares of huge Standard Brands Inc. And this No. 2 U. S. packaged food company (No. 1, General Foods) is not doing anything like as handsomely as the House of Morgan thought it would when it put it together around the Fleischmann Co. back in 1929."
- Publicker Completes Sale of Liquor Business In U.S. for $35 Million
- http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Nabisco-Foods-Group-Company-History.html Nabisco History