Standard Insurance Center
|Standard Insurance Center|
|Former names||Georgia-Pacific Building|
|Location||900 SW Fifth Avenue
|Owner||Standard Insurance Company|
|Roof||111.86 m (367.0 ft)|
|Floor area||459,504 sq ft (42,689.3 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill|
|Structural engineer||Glumac International (consulting)|
|Main contractor||Andersen Construction Company|
The Standard Insurance Center, originally the Georgia-Pacific Building, is a 27 story office building in Portland, Oregon. Completed in 1968, it currently serves as part of the headquarters of The Standard, the brand name under which Standard Insurance Company and other subsidiaries of StanCorp Financial Group, Inc., do business. Standard also owns the 16-story Standard Plaza, located two blocks south along 5th Avenue.
The Georgia-Pacific Building was completed in 1968, commissioned by Georgia-Pacific and designed by the firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM). At the time of construction, it was the tallest reinforced concrete building in the world.
When Georgia-Pacific left Portland, the Standard Insurance Company purchased the building, renamed it Standard Insurance Center, and removed all GP signage.
Standing 367 feet (112 m) tall, the tower contains 27 above-ground stories. Valued at $114 million, the structure contains 459,504 square feet (42,689.3 m2) of space. Built of concrete and steel, the tower is considered Modernist in style. One major tenant is the Stoel Rives law firm, which leases the top nine stories at the building.
- Architecture of Portland, Oregon
- List of tallest buildings in Portland, Oregon
- The Quest (sculpture) (1970)
- Standard Insurance Center at Emporis
- Standard Insurance Center at SkyscraperPage
- Standard Insurance Center at Structurae
- "900 SW 5th Ave - Downtown - Portland". PortlandMaps. City of Portland. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- "Standard Insurance Center". Emporis. Retrieved 11 February 2010.
- James Mayer (August 13, 2010). "Stoel Rives walks away from would-be Park Avenue West office tower". The Oregonian. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- Standard Insurance Center (Google 3D warehouse)