Standing but not operating
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Standing but not operating (often abbreviated SBNO) refers to an amusement park or amusement ride that still exists but is no longer operating. Reasons may include damage, pending lawsuits, lack of funding, changing location, or incidents. The status is not used to describe seasonal operation in which closure is the result of a yearly schedule.
Kentucky Kingdom has been SBNO since the end of its 2009 season, after Six Flags closed the amusement park indefinitely amid bankruptcy proceedings. Former proprietor Ed Hart has led efforts to reopen the park and negotiated new lease terms with the Kentucky State Fair Board on 24 January 2013. They intend to reopen the park in spring 2014.
LeSourdsville Amusement Park (Americana Park) has been SBNO since 2003. Many of its rides have been relocated or demolished, including its two roller coasters: Screechin' Eagle and Serpent. Serpent was relocated to Saginaw, Michigan, in 2009 and Screechin' Eagle was demolished in 2011. The park was featured on the History Channel's Life After People: The Series.
Ghost Town in the Sky in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, which has recently[when?] reopened, had been SBNO since 2009, when it closed for the season. The owners filed for bankruptcy in early 2010. The park, along with 20 rides including two roller coasters, are currently operating. None have been removed. The park will be auctioned off or sold in mid to late 2011.[needs update]
One of the best known examples of an SBNO roller coaster is Vertigorama at Parque de la Ciudad. While the track is complete, the electrical systems are not. Although built in 1983, it is unknown if the ride will ever be finished.
Pattaya Park in Pattaya, Chonburi Province, Thailand, has another curious example of an SBNO roller coaster in an abandoned section of their park. Their coaster, a compressed air-launched reverse freefall coaster called Formula One, has been standing since at least 1999 but has never opened.
The Thunder Dolphin roller coaster at the Tokyo Dome City Attractions amusement park has been SBNO since 5 December 2010, when a 25 cm long bolt fell from the ride while in motion, injuring a 9-year-old visitor. As of 2013, the ride has now re-opened to the public.
Cedar Fair currently owns one property, Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio, that is partially SBNO. Formerly known as Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, the property was acquired in 2004 and closed at the end of the 2007 season due to declining attendance. Cedar Fair closed the amusement park side of the property but kept the water park open. Many rides were transferred to other parks but several remain SBNO. Cedar Fair has not announced future plans for remainder of the park.
Six Flags New Orleans in New Orleans, Louisiana, has remained closed since Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005. Before the hurricane, the park's six roller coasters were fully functional. Currently four roller coasters (Zydeco Scream, The Jester, Mega Zeph and Muskrat Scrambler) remain SBNO at the park, with the other two (Batman: The Ride and Road Runner Express) having been moved to other Six Flags amusement parks. In March 2012, it was announced that the Six Flags New Orleans site would be transformed into an outlet mall, Jazzland Outlet Mall. 
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Space Mountain at Disneyland was temporarily SBNO after being voluntarily shut down after receiving Cal OSHA citations in April 2013 for inadequate fall protection. In November 2012, an employee fell from Space Mountain while cleaning its exterior and suffered broken bones. Disney was fined $61,000 in relation to the incident. In May 2013, the ride was reopened. Also at the Disneyland Resort, the PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track still stands today, almost 13 years after the ride closed. The track was last used as a highpoint for stormtroopers in the grand opening of Star Tours: The Adventure Continues.
- "LOST & ENDANGERED COASTERS SBNO". Roller Coaster Mayhem. 24 September 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- "Roller Coasters - Glossary". Ultimate Rollercoaster. Retrieved 28 August 2010.
- Marden, Duane (April 2013). "Amusement Park Search Results - SBNO". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Marden, Duane (April 2013). "Roller Coaster Search Results - SBNO". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Schreiner, Bruce (20 August 2012). "Push is on by state to revive Kentucky Kingdom". Associated Press. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Shafer, Sheldon S. (29 January 2013). "Ed Hart to check out Kentucky Kingdom". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Kington, Katherine (4 February 2013). "New staff moves in to Kentucky Kingdom". WAVE 3. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Roller Coaster DataBase - Vertigorama (Parque de la Ciudad)
- Roller Coaster DataBase - Formula One (Pattaya Park Funny Land)
- Marden, Duane. "Six Flags New Orleans (Amusement Park)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Zydeco Scream (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "The Jetster (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Mega Zyph (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Muskrat Scrambler (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Batman: The Ride (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Road Runner Express (Six Flags New Orleans)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Mr. Six's DanceCoaster (Six Flags Magic Mountain)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- Marden, Duane. "Flashback (Six Flags Magic Mountain)". Roller Coaster DataBase.
- "Disneyland Resort Voluntarily Closes Some Rides After Cal/OSHA Citations". CBSLA.com. 14 April 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Space Mountain remains closed at Disneyland". Associated Press. 26 April 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- "Space Mountain ride at Disneyland reopens after safety work". LATIMES.com. 6 May 2013. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- List of Standing But Not Operating Amusement Parks at the Roller Coaster Database
- List of Standing But Not Operating Roller Coasters at the Roller Coaster Database