||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (May 2014)|
|Genres||World, A cappella|
Stanford Raagapella is Stanford University's all-male, South Asian fusion a cappella group. The group was founded in 2002 and has released one album to date, Raags to Riches. Raagapella has also toured the United States and India, performing with artists such as A.R. Rahman.
Raagapella was founded in 2002. The group quickly grew from its founding four members to a steady size of about thirteen. In 2005 and 2006 Raagapella won Anahat, the National South Asian A Cappella Competition, and placed third in the competition in 2004 and 2007. In 2006, Raagapella also took part in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) where it was a semi-finalist. Later that year, Raagapella went on its first tour, starting a yearly tradition of touring in locations such as the East and West coasts of the United States, Texas, Chicago, Iowa and India, during which CNN-IBN did a story about the group. In 2006, Raagapella first performed with composer and singer A.R. Rahman in the Hollywood Bowl, reconvening in 2007 (in the Oracle Arena, Oakland and NASA Colosseum), and again in the Hollywood Bowl in 2011.
Raagapella's music consists mainly of Bollywood and western pop. The repertoire also contains doo-wop (such as "I'll Take You Home"), Persian poetry ("Ey Karevan/Hallelujah"), a national song ("Vande Mataram"), hip hop ("Motel"), R&B ("Burn/Jaane Kye Chahe"), folk rock ("All Along the Watchtower") and bhangra ("Kangna"). While most songs are in Hindi and/or English, Raagapella has also sung in Punjabi, Singhalese, Tamil, Persian, Telugu, Kannada, Sanskrit, Arabic, and French.
Founding members were Mehul Trivedi, Bobby Ghosh, Sudeep Roy, and Jay Pandit. Current officers are Akaash Nanda and David Jiang (President & Business Manager, respectively) and Akshay Subramaniam and Lowry Yankwich (Music Director & Assistant Music Director, respectively).
For the 2012-2013 school year, members are as following:
|Tenor I||Tenor II||Baritone||Bass|
|Isaac Caswell||Lowry Yankwich||Akshay Subramaniam||David Jiang|
|Karan Mathur||Bradley Wo||Akaash Nanda||Nathan Randall|
|Kartik Sawhney||Ye Wang (Vocal Percussion)||Edward Wang|
- "Stanford Raagapella | bio". Raagapella.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella | History". Stanford.edu. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella, Indianised form of Italian music". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella | A Cappella Music - The Contemporary A Cappella Society". Casa.org. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Raagapella - About the Performer". LA Phil. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Stanford Raagapella | discography | Raags to Riches". Raagapella.com. 2005-12-01. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "Stanford Raagapella | page:singers". Raagapella.com. Retrieved 2011-09-07.