Stanford University School of Engineering
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
Stanford University School of Engineering is one of the schools of Stanford University. The current dean is James D. Plummer who is resigning in 2014. Persis Drell, the former director of the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, was announced as the school's ninth dean, and first female dean, effective September 2014.
List of deans
- Theodore J. Hoover (1925–1936)
- Samuel B. Morris (1936–1944)
- Frederick E. Terman (1944–1958)
- Joseph M. Pettit (1958–1972)
- William M. Kays (1972–1984)
- James F. Gibbons (1984–1996)
- John L. Hennessy (1996–1999)
- James D. Plummer (1999–2014)
- Persis Drell (2014–present)
Current departments at the school
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Bioengineering (also in the School of Medicine)
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Management Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
In addition, the Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering is an interdisciplinary program.
The School of Engineering was established in 1926 when Stanford organized the previous independent academic departments into a school. The original departments in the school were
- Civil Engineering one of the original university departments (1891), later to become Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering established in 1892.
- Mechanical Engineering one of the original university departments.
- Mining and Metallurgy established in 1918 and eventually disbanded in 1945.
Departments added afterwards:
- Aeronautics and Astronautics started as Aeronautical Engineering in 1958
- Chemical Engineering in 1961 (split from Chemistry)
- Computer Science in 1965 in the School of Humanities and Sciences but moved to the School of Engineering in 1985
- Materials Science and Engineering in 1961 (originally known as Materials Science)
- Management Science and Engineering in the 1950s (originally Industrial Engineering)
- Bioengineering is the newest department and established in 2002.
- "Former SLAC Director Persis Drell named dean of Stanford Engineering". Stanford Report. June 3, 2014. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Guide to SU Schools". Stanford Historical Society. Retrieved 2012-01-05.