Stanley (2001 TV series)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Created by||Jim Jinkins
Jessica D. Stone
|Theme music composer||Peter Lurye|
|Opening theme||"My Man Stanley" by Baha Men|
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of episodes||65|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Cartoon Pizza|
|Original channel||Playhouse Disney (2001-2007)
Disney Junior (2012-)
|Original airing||September 15, 2001- November 26, 2004|
Stanley is an animated television series that was aired on Disney Junior (previously known as Playhouse Disney), based on the series of children's books written by "Griff" (as indicated on the cover of the original book), also known as Andrew Griffin. It was produced by Cartoon Pizza, and was developed for television by Jim Jinkins (the creator of Doug, PB&J Otter, Allegra's Window, JoJo's Circus and Pinky Dinky Doo) and David Campbell.
Stanley teaches a wide variety of issues preschool children face, including change, growth, rules, and dealing with others. Each episode centers around an animal that deals with or helps explain the issue Stanley is grappling with.
Each episode shows Stanley (voiced by Jessica D. Stone) in a situation he does not fully understand. He discusses it with his pet goldfish Dennis (Charles Shaughnessy) before consulting the Great Big Book of Everything, a remarkably complete zoology book aimed at young children. By observing how an animal copes with the same situation Stanley faces, or how it can overcome a similar difficulty, Stanley learns to deal with the situation himself.
Throughout the show Stanley and all his preschool aged friends are able to talk to his pet cat, Elsie (Hynden Walch) and dog Harry (Rene Mujica) as well as Dennis. Other animals also seem to occasionally respond, but never talk or give a definite indication they truly understood what was said. Stanley and his friends actively try to keep the adults (that is, except Stanley's grandmother), and by extension Stanley's older brother Lionel, from realizing this.
The Great Big Book of Everything appears to be magical in nature, able to either let the animals out of the pages or allow the children to enter, sometimes changing them into animals in the process. This does not appear to be imaginary since occasionally adults do notice the noise, and Stanley works hard to hide the animals. There is also an episode where Stanley's brother sees a T-Rex in the yard, but dismisses the memory when it disappears back into the book.
The Halloween special features Stanley's grandmother who, it is implied, is a witch. She reveals that she too can work the book, and in fact was the one who gave it to Stanley. She was also the one who taught its theme song to Harry and Elsie.
When someone says the "Great Big Book Of Everything", hints it out, or even has the book, Elsie and Harry will wake up or find their way into the scene and start singing. This usually annoys Dennis, who after the introductory verse, says something like "Oh not again!".
In the US, the series aired on Disney Channel's daytime preschool block Playhouse Disney since its debut, September 15, 2001. When Playhouse Disney rebrands its on-air presentation in 2007, Stanley was put on a new timeslot at 6:00AM ET on the weekends. As of May 2008, Stanley no longer airs on Playhouse Disney, but DVD's and books are still available. In February 2011, the show was completely removed when Playhouse Disney rebranded as Disney Junior. The show was briefly seen online on DisneyJunior.com as part of "fan favorites" week on the week of June 20, 2011, and it cannot be seen on the internet any more. As of March 23, 2012, the series returned on the U.S. airwaves on Disney Junior.
In Canada, it ran on The Family Channel from 2002 to 2007, and then was moved to Disney Junior, which has been running since 2007. It also aired on the Canadian-French version of Disney Junior since 2010.
- Disney Channel (United States) (September 15, 2001 - early 2008)
- Disney Junior (United States) (March 23, 2012 – present)
- Family (Canada) (2002 - November 29, 2007)
- Disney Junior Canada (English) (November 30, 2007 –September 27, 2013)
- Disney Junior Canada (French) (July 5, 2010 - present)
- Charles Shaughnessy - Dennis
- Jessica D. Stone - Stanley Griff
- David Landsberg - Mark Griff
- Ari Meyers - Joyce Griff
- Rene Mujica - Harry
- Shawn Pyfrom - Lionel Griff
- Hynden Walch - Elsie
- Philece Sampler - Lester Goldberg
- Khylan Jones - Mimi & Marci
- Candi Milo - Ms. Diaz
- Wallace Shawn - Mr. Goldberg
Awards and nominations
- 2002 – Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program – Charles Shaughnessy For playing "Dennis" (won)
On January 3, 2006, Walt Disney Home Entertainment and Cartoon Pizza released a full-length direct-to-video movie based on Stanley. Entitled Stanley's Dinosaur Round-Up, the film centers around the titular character as he, along with Elsie, Dennis, Harry, Mimi, Lester and Marci, team up to save his Great Uncle Stew (John Ritter, who completed his work for the film before he died)'s dude ranch from the greedy Rockin' Rory (an uncredited Randy Quaid) who intends to buy the ranch and turn it into an amusement park.
- Up The Apple Tree / Kangaroo Clean-Up: - Stanley ruins his mother's birthday present;Stanley discovers how cleaning up is.
- Bearly Awake / The Eagle Has Landed: Stanley sleeps during school;Stanley learns all about eagles.
- Dolphin Talk / There's Something Snaky Going On: Stanley learns why dolphins communicate;Stanley learns all about snakes.
- Camel Commotion / There's Snow Place Like Home: Stanley goes to the park;Stanley plays in the snow and learns about polar bears.
- Frog Legs / Whoo's Afraid of the Dark?: Stanley is scared to go to the big kids pool;Stanley is afraid of the dark.
- The Curse of the Angry Coral / A Little Bird Told Me: Stanley discovers there is a curse;Stanley learns about the Pacific waxwing.
- Grandma Griff's Mystery Guest: Stanley learns all about bats and the other halloween creatures during Grandma Griff's party.
- Follow the Leader / Zebra Jigsaw: Stanley plays follow the leader;Stanley learns all about zebras and camouflage.
- You've Got Pigeon Mail / It's A Prairie Dog's Life?: Stanley's got mail today;Stanley learns all about prairie dogs.
- In A While, Crocodile / The Color of Stanley: Stanley loses a tooth;Stanley discovers that Lionel's friends are cool.
- Doing Like Ducks / Speedy Does It: Stanley goes on a field trip to the farm;Stanley learns all about roadrunners.
- To Catch a Hamster / Pearls of Wisdom: Stanley catches a hamster with his friends;Stanley learns all about oysters.
- Platypus Problems / Rabbit Habit: Stanley doesn't know what to wear for an animal day;Stanley learns all about rabbits.
- Searching for Spring / Save the Bluebird!: Stanley waits for spring;Stanley learns all about bluebirds.
- The Joker / Baby Pictures: Stanley finds animals that are funny;Stanley learns all about baby animals.
- A Little Squirrel Music / A Boy's Best Friend is his Fish: Stanley learns all about squirrels; a sad episode
- Stanley on Disney Junior Canada
- Stanley on Disney Junior Quebec
- Stanley on Disney Junior US
- Playhouse Disney Official Site