Stanley Allen Bastian
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington|
May 1, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Edward Shea|
|Born||1958 (age 56–57)
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Oregon
University of Washington,
Stanley Allen Bastian (born 1958) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington.
Bastian received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1980 from the University of Oregon. He received a Juris Doctorate in 1983 from the University of Washington School of Law. He served as an associate at the law firm of Bergman & Bauer from 1983 to 1984. He served as a law clerk to Judge Ward Williams of the Washington State Court of Appeals from 1984 to 1985. He served as an Assistant City Attorney in Seattle, Washington, from 1985 to 1988. In 1988, he joined the law firm of Jeffers, Danielson, Sonn & Aylward, P.S. in Wenatchee, Washington, where he primarily handles civil employment cases. He was the managing partner of the law firm.
Federal judicial service
On September 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Bastian to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, to the seat vacated by Judge Edward F. Shea, who took senior status on June 7, 2012. On January 16, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee.
On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014 a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 55-41. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 95-0. He received his judicial commission on May 1, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on United States District Courts" White House September 19, 2013
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House September 19, 2013
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 112. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 119. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Stanley Allen Bastian at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington