Stanley Cohen (biochemist)
November 17, 1922 |
Brooklyn, New York
Vanderbilt UniversityWashington University in St. Louis
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Thesis||The Nitrogenous Metabolism of the Earthworm (1949)|
|Doctoral advisor||Howard B. Lewis|
|Known for||Nerve growth factor|
|Notable awards||Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (1986)
Franklin Medal (1987)
Early life and education
Cohen was born in Brooklyn, New York, November 17, 1922 the son of Fannie (née Feitel) and Louis Cohen, a tailor. Cohen received his bachelor's degree in 1943 from Brooklyn College, where he had double-majored in chemistry and biology. After working as a bacteriologist at a milk processing plant to earn money, he received his Master of Arts in zoology from Oberlin College in 1945. He earned a Ph.D. from the department of biochemistry at the University of Michigan in 1948.
Working with Rita Levi-Montalcini (co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in 1986) at Washington University in St. Louis in the 1950s, Cohen isolated nerve growth factor and then went on to discover epidermal growth factor. He continued his research on cellular growth factors after moving to Vanderbilt University in 1959. His research on cellular growth factors has proven fundamental to understanding the development of cancer and designing anti-cancer drugs.
- Cohen, S.; Lewis, H. B. (1949). "The nitrogenous metabolism of the earthworm (Lumbricus terrestris)". The Journal of biological chemistry 180 (1): 79–91. PMID 18133376.
- Cohen, S.; Lewis, H. B. (1950). "The nitrogenous metabolism of the earthworm (Lumbricus terrestric). II. Arginase and urea synthesis". The Journal of biological chemistry 184 (2): 479–484. PMID 15428427.
- Cohen, Stanley (1993). "Epidermal Growth Factor". In Tore Frängsmyr and Jan Lindsten (Eds.). Nobel Lectures, Physiology or Medicine 1981-1990. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. ISBN 978-981-02-0793-9. Cohen's Nobel Lecture.
- Raju, T. N. (2000). "The Nobel chronicles. 1986: Stanley Cohen (b 1922); Rita Levi-Montalcini (b 1909)". Lancet 355 (9202): 506. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(00)82069-3. PMID 10841166.
- Shampo, M. A.; Kyle, R. A. (1999). "Stanley Cohen—Nobel Laureate for Growth Factor". Mayo Clinic Proceedings 74 (6): 600. doi:10.4065/74.6.600. PMID 10377936.
- Weltman, J. K. (1987). "The 1986 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine awarded for discovery of growth factors: Rita Levi-Montalcini, M.D., and Stanley Cohen, Ph.D". New England and regional allergy proceedings 8 (1): 47–48. doi:10.2500/108854187779045385. PMID 3302667.
- Carpenter, G.; Cohen, S. (1979). "Epidermal Growth Factor". Annual Review of Biochemistry 48: 193–216. doi:10.1146/annurev.bi.48.070179.001205. PMID 382984.
- Autobiography at the website of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, 1986
- Stanley Cohen Nobel link
- The Official Site of Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize