Stanley Fields (biologist)
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||Sequence analysis of influenza virus RNA (1981)|
|Known for||Two-hybrid screening|
Stanley Fields is an American biologist best known for developing the yeast two hybrid method for identifying protein–protein interactions. He is currently a professor of Genome Sciences at the University of Washington and Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.
Fields was educated at the University of Cambridge where he was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy in 1981 for research carried out in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) with Greg Winter and George Brownlee.
Along with Matt Kaeberlein and Brian Kennedy, Fields has carried out genome-wide screens for aging genes in yeast. Kaeberlein and co-workers have questioned the hypothesis that lifespan extension from caloric restriction is mediated by Sirtuins. Instead Kaeberlein, Fields, and Kennedy have proposed that caloric restriction increases lifespan by decreasing the activity of the Target of Rapamycin (TOR) kinase.
- Fields, S.; Song, O. (1989). "A novel genetic system to detect protein-protein interactions". Nature 340 (6230): 245–246. Bibcode:1989Natur.340..245F. doi:10.1038/340245a0. PMID 2547163.
- Fields, Stanley (2014). "Would Fred Sanger Get Funded Today?". Genetics 197 (2): 435–439. doi:10.1534/genetics.114.165134. PMID 24939989.
- Stanley Fields (biologist) from the Scopus bibliographic database
- Winter, G.; Fields, S.; Brownlee, G. G. (1981). "Nucleotide sequence of the haemagglutinin gene of a human influenza virus H1 subtype". Nature 292 (5818): 72. doi:10.1038/292072a0. PMID 7278968.
- Fields, S.; Winter, G.; Brownlee, G. G. (1981). "Structure of the neuraminidase gene in human influenza virus A/PR/8/34". Nature 290 (5803): 213. doi:10.1038/290213a0. PMID 7010182.
- Kaeberlein, M.; Kirkland, K. T.; Fields, S.; Kennedy, B. K. (2004). "Sir2-Independent Life Span Extension by Calorie Restriction in Yeast". PLoS Biology 2 (9): e296. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0020296. PMID 15328540.
- Kaeberlein, M; Powers Rw, 3rd; Steffen, K. K.; Westman, E. A.; Hu, D; Dang, N; Kerr, E. O.; Kirkland, K. T.; Fields, S; Kennedy, B. K. (2005). "Regulation of yeast replicative life span by TOR and Sch9 in response to nutrients". Science 310 (5751): 1193–6. doi:10.1126/science.1115535. PMID 16293764.
|This article about a biologist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|