Gold during the Save Disney Campaign
|Born||Stanley Phillip Gold
September 10, 1942
Los Angeles, California
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles (B.A.)
USC Gould School of Law (J.D)
|Title||Chief Executive Officer|
Board member of
|Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, Chairman of the Board
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
University of Southern California (Chairman Emeritus)
Walt Disney Company NYSE: DIS(formerly)
Tadiran Communications, Ltd. (formerly)
Ansell, Ltd ASX: ANN (alternate)
L.A. Gear, Inc.
|Spouse(s)||Ilene Carol Gold, née Glasberg|
|Children||Charles and Jennifer|
Stanley Phillip Gold (born September 10, 1942) is President and CEO of Shamrock Holdings, Roy E. Disney's private investment company. He was on the Walt Disney Company's board of directors 1984; 1987–2003. He and Roy resigned to publicly campaign to oust then CEO and Chairman of the Board Michael Eisner. He also helped oust CEO Ron W. Miller and hire Eisner in 1984. He has played a leading role at USC (past chairman of the board of trustees) and the University of Southern California Law School, sustained Jewish organizations with both his leadership and treasure, and been a significant political contributor.
Education and early life
Gold was born to a Jewish family in Los Angeles, California. He grew up in South Los Angeles, near Dorsey High School. The family moved to the Valley when he was a teenager. After graduation from Van Nuys High School, he entered Cal Berkeley. There he dated his future wife, Ilene. He finished his A.B. in political science at U.C.L.A., and in 1967 earned a law degree at University of Southern California. He went to England for post-graduate work at Cambridge University.
He practiced law with Martin Gang at Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown law firm 1968–????. For part of that time he was the managing partner. For a number of years, he specialized in corporate acquisitions, sales and financing.
During his business career he served as President of Shamrock Broadcasting, Inc., President and then Chairman of Central Soya Company, Inc., Chairman of Enterra Corporation NYSE: EN and Chairman of Koor Industries Ltd. NYSE: KOR, Chairman of Tadiran Communications, and other companies.
Philanthropy and service
At a banquet honoring U.S. Ambassador John Marshall Evans (4 March 2007) he pledged $100,000 to USC's Institute of Armenian Studies. In 2001, he pledged $500,000 to establish the Martin Gang Scholarship Fund at Hebrew Union College; Roy and Patty Disney pledged an additional $100,000.
Gold has been a contributor to federal political campaigns for many years, largely to Democrats, both candidates and organizations (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Democratic National Committee) but also to a few Republicans (such as George W. Bush, Robert Dole, Richard Lugar, Mitt Romney, Arlen Specter, William Weld, Pete Wilson). (The Center for Responsive Politics reports $238,000 for 1993–17 Dec 2008, including a few non-federal contributions. See OpenSecrets.org)
- Sigma Alpha Mu
- Wilshire Boulevard Temple, past board member
- University of Southern California, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, mentor to President Steven B. Sample
- Greenberg, Brad A. (October 18, 2007). "New Chairman of the Jewish Federation: I’m ‘gonna make it relevant’". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Taylor, John (1987). Storming the magic kingdom : wall street, the raiders, and the battle for Disney (1st ed.). New York: Knopf. ISBN 0-394-54640-7. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Stewart, James B. (2005). Disney war. New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 978-0-684-80993-9. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Gold, Stanley P. "AN OPEN LETTER TO THE BOYS....". Stories – Stanley Gold's story. Timo Pantsari – Webmaster of Porsche Net. Retrieved 2008-12-20.
I'm beginning to feel like a Porsche aficionado (my wife still calls me a "Porsche Nut")... We arrived safe and sound at The Factory; turned in our paperwork; bought a few more Porsche items in the gift shop and brought to an end three weeks that will always be known in our home as Porsche's Grand Tour of Italy.
- Israel Policy Forum: "Prominent US Jews Support Two States, Urge Abbas to Set Positive Tone" September 25, 2013
- Family Tree Legends
- Lewis, Wayne (March 2007). "A Community Celebrates A Hero. Supporters give more than $1.2 million to USC College’s Institute of Armenian Studies.". USC College : News : March 2007 : Institute of Armenian Studies. University of Southern California. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
Stanley Gold, chairman of the USC Board of Trustees, challenged the 1,000 attendees to expand their support for the institute.
- "Ilene and Stanley P. Gold, distinguished benefactors and community leaders, are honored at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion's (HUC-JIR) 125th Anniversary Gala". HUC-JIR News. Hebrew Union College. October 28, 2001. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
The Gold Family presents an additional challenge gift of $500,000 for the creation of the Martin Gang Scholarship Fund for HUC-JIR.
- Seliktar, Ofira (2002). "Chapter 8: Lurching to the Left. Responding to Barak's Vision of the Peace Process". Divided We Stand: American Jews, Israel, and the Peace Process. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 181. ISBN 978-0-275-97408-4. Retrieved 2008-12-17.