Stanley Krippner (born October 4, 1932) is an American psychologist, parapsychologist, and an executive faculty member and Professor of Psychology at Saybrook University in San Francisco. Formerly, Krippner was director of the Kent State University Child Study Center (of Kent, Ohio), and director of the Maimonides Medical Center Dream Research Laboratory (of Brooklyn, New York).
Krippner has written extensively on altered states of consciousness, dream telepathy, hypnosis, shamanism, dissociation, and parapsychological subjects. Krippner was an early leader in Division 32 of the American Psychological Association, the division concerned with humanistic psychology, serving as President of the division from 1980 - 1981. He also served as president of division 30, the Society for Psychological Hypnosis, and is a Fellow of four APA divisions. Krippner has conducted experiments with Montague Ullman into dream telepathy at the Maimonides Medical Center.
In 2013, Krippner received the American Psychological Association [APA] Award for Distinguished Lifetime Contributions to Humanistic Psychology. Other awards from the APA include the Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology (2002), Award for Distinguished Contributions to Professional Hypnosis (2002), Senior Contributor Award (Division 17, Counseling Psychology) (2000), and the Charlotte and Karl Buhler Award (Division 32, Humanistic Psychology) (1992). Krippner also received The Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis Human Treasure Award (2013), The International Association for the Study of Dreams (IASD) Lifetime Achievement Award (2006), The Parapsychological Association's Outstanding Career Award (1998), The Dr. J.B. Rhine Award for Life-Time Achievement in Parapsychology (2002), the Pathfinder Award from the [Association for Humanistic Psychology] (1998), and the University of Georgia Bicentennial Award (1985).
Krippner's dream telepathy experiments have not been independently replicated. James Alcock has written the dream telepathy experiments of Krippner at Maimonides have failed to provide evidence for telepathy and "lack of replication is rampant."
The picture target experiments that were conducted by Krippner and Ullman, were criticized by C. E. M. Hansel. According to Hansel there were weaknesses in the design of the experiments in the way in which the agent became aware of their target picture. Only the agent should have known the target and no other person until the judging of targets had been completed, however, an experimenter was with the agent when the target envelope was opened. Hansel also wrote there had been poor controls in the experiment as the main experimenter could communicate with the subject.
An attempt to replicate the experiments that used picture targets was carried out by Edward Belvedere and David Foulkes. The finding was that neither the subject nor the judges matched the targets with dreams above chance level. Results from other experiments by Belvedere and Foulkes were also negative.
Krippner has contributed to and edited Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena (1977). The book included an essay from the parapsychologist Julius Weinberger, who claimed to have communicated with the dead by using a Venus flytrap as the medium. Paul Kurtz criticized the book for endorsing pseudoscience.
- 1980 - Human Possibilities: Mind Research in the USSR and Eastern Europe (Anchor/Doubleday Books) ISBN 0-385-12805-3
- 1976 - Song of the Siren: A Parapsychological Odyssey (Harper & Row) ISBN 0-06-064786-8
- 1971 - Shamlet: The Tragicall Historie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Exposition Press)
- 2012 - Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (Biographies of Disease) (with Daniel Pitchford and Jeannine Davies). (ABC-CLIO/Greenwood)
- 2012 - The Voice of Rolling Thunder: A Medicine Man's Wisdom for Walking the Red Road (with Sidian Morning Star Jones). (Bear & Company) ISBN 1-59143-133-6
- 2011 - Demystifying Shamans and their World: A Multidisciplinary Study (with Adam Rock). (Imprint-Academic)
- 2010 - Haunted by Combat: Understanding PTSD in War Veterans, Rev. ed. (New Epilogue, with Daryl S. Paulson). (Rowman & Littlefield)
- 2007 - Haunted by Combat: Understanding PTSD in War Veterans, Including Women, Reservists, and Those Coming Back from Iraq (with Daryl S. Paulson). (Praeger Security International)
- 2006 - The Mythic Path, 3rd ed. (with David Feinstein). (Energy Psychology Press)
- 2004 - Becoming Psychic: Spiritual Lessons for Focusing Your Hidden Abilities (with Stephen Kierulff). (New Page Books) ISBN 1-56414-755-X
- 2002 - Extraordinary Dreams and How to Work with Them (with Fariba Bogzaran & Andre Percia de Carvalho). (SUNY Press)
- 1997 - The Mythic Path (with David Feinstein). (Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam) ISBN 0-87477-857-3
- 1993 - A Psychiatrist in Paradise: Treating Mental Illness in Bali (with Denny Thong and Bruce Carpenter). (White Lotus Press) ISBN 974-8495-77-9
- 1992 - Spiritual Dimensions of Healing: From Tribal Shamanism to Contemporary Health Care (with Patrick Welch). (Irvington Publishers) ISBN 0-8290-2462-X
- 1989 - Dream Telepathy: Experiments in Nocturnal ESP, 2nd ed. (with Montague Ullman and Alan Vaughan)(McFarland Publishers) ISBN 1-57174-321-9
- 1988 - Personal Mythology: The Psychology of Your Evolving Self (with David Feinstein). (Jeremy P. Tarcher) ISBN 0-87477-483-7
- 1988 - Dreamworking: How to Use Your Dreams for Creative Problem-Solving (with Joseph Dillard). (Bearly Ltd.) ISBN 0-943456-25-8
- 1987 - Zwischen Himmel und Erde: Spirituelles Heilen der Schamanen, Hexen, Priester und Medien (with Patrick Scott). (Chiron Verlag)
- 1987 - Healing States (with Alberto Villoldo). (Fireside Books/Simon & Schuster) ISBN 0-671-63202-7
- 1986 - La Science et les Pouvoirs Psychiques de l'Homme (with Jerry Solfvin). (Sand)
- 1986 - The Realms of Healing, 3rd ed. (with Alberto Villoldo). (Celestial Arts Press) (rev. ed. 1977) ISBN 0-89087-474-3
- 1974 - Dream Telepathy: Experiments in Nocturnal ESP (with Montague Ullman and Alan Vaughan). (Macmillan)
- 1990 - Dreamtime and Dreamwork: Decoding the Language of the Night (Jeremy P. Tarcher)
- 1987-1997 - Advances in Parapsychological Research Vols. 4-8; 4(1984), 5(1987), 6(1990), 7(1994), 8(1997) (McFarland Publishing)
- 1977-1982 - Advances in Parapsychological Research Vols. 1-3; 1(1977), 2(1978), 3(1982) (Plenum Press)
- 1979 - Psychoenergetic Systems: The Interface of Consciousness, Energy and Matter (Gordon & Breach)
- 2013 - Varieties of Anomalous Experience, 2nd ed.(with Etzel Cardena and Steven Jay Lynn). (American Psychological Association)
- 2013 - Advances in Parapsychological Research, Vol. 9 (with Rock, Beischel, Friedman, and Fracasso). (McFarland)
- 2010 - Debating Psychic Experience: Human Potential or Human Illusion? (with Harris L. Friedman). (Praeger)
- 2010 - Mysterious Minds: The Neurobiology of Psychics, Mediums, and Other Extraordinary People (with Harris L. Friedman). (Praeger)
- 2009 - Perchance to Dream: The Frontiers of Dream Psychology (with Debbie Joffe Ellis). (Nova Science)
- 2007 - Healing Stories: The Use of Narrative in Counseling and Psychotherapy (with Michael Bova, & Leslie Gray). (Puente)
- 2007 - Healing Tales: The Narrative Arts in Spiritual Traditions (with Michael Bova, Leslie Gray, & Adam Kay). (Puente)
- 2003 - The Psychological Impact of War Trauma on Civilians: An International Perspective (with Teresa M McIntyre). (Praeger)
- 2000 - Varieties of Anomalous Experience: Examining the Scientific Evidence (with Etzel Cardena & Steven J. Lynn). (American Psychological Association)
- 1999 - Dreamscaping (with Mark Waldman). (Lowell House)
- 1997 - Broken Images, Broken Selves: Dissociative Narratives in Clinical Practice (with Susan Powers). (Brunner/Mazel)
- 1977 - Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena (with John White). (Anchor Books)
- 1975 - The Energies of Consciousness: Explorations in Acupuncture, Auras, and Kirlian Photography (with Daniel Rubin). (Gordon & Breach)
- 1974 - The Kirlian Aura: Photographing the Galaxies of Life (with Daniel Rubin). (Anchor Books)
- 1973 - Galaxies of Life: The Human Aura in Acupuncture and Kirlian Photography (with Daniel Rubin). (Gordon & Breach)
- "Stanley Krippner, Papers, 1953-1980". Kent State University. 7 February 2003. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
- Melton, J. G. (1996). Stanley Krippner. In Encyclopedia of Occultism & Parapsychology. Gale Research. ISBN 978-0-8103-9487-2.
- No Authorship Indicated (November 2002). "Stanley C. Krippner: Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology". The American Psychologist (American Psychological Association) 57 (11): 960–62. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.57.11.960. PMID 12564208. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Saybrook: Faculty". Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center. Retrieved 15 October 2009.
- Aanstoos, C.; Serlin, I.; Greening, Thomas (2000). "History of Division 32 (Humanistic Psychology) of the American Psychological Association". In Dewsbury, Donald A. Unification through Division: Histories of the divisions of the American Psychological Association, Vol. V. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Parker, Adrian. (1975). States of Mind: ESP and Altered States of Consciousness. Taplinger. p. 90. ISBN 0-8008-7374-2
- Clemmer, E. J. (1986). Not so anomalous observations question ESP in dreams. American Psychologist 41: 1173-1174.
- Hyman, Ray. (1986). Maimonides dream-telepathy experiments. Skeptical Inquirer 11: 91-92.
- Neher, Andrew. (2011). Paranormal and Transcendental Experience: A Psychological Examination. Dover Publications. p. 145. ISBN 0-486-26167-0
- Alcock James. (2003). Give the Null Hypothesis a Chance: Reasons to Remain Doubtful about the Existence of Psi. Journal of Consciousness Studies 10: 29–50.
- Hansel, C. E. M. (1985). The Search for a Demonstration of ESP. In Kurtz, Paul. A Skeptic's Handbook of Parapsychology. Prometheus Books. pp. 97-127. ISBN 0-87975-300-5
- Belvedere, E., Foulkes, D. (1971). Telepathy and Dreams: A Failure to Replicate. Perceptual and Motor Skills 33: 783–789.
- Hansel, C. E. M. (1989). The Search for Psychic Power: ESP and Parapsychology Revisited. Prometheus Books. pp. 141-152. ISBN 0-87975-516-4
- Kurtz, Paul. (1978). Review of Future Science: Life Energies and the Physics of Paranormal Phenomena. Skeptical Inquirer 2: 90-94.
- Official website
- Ardagh, Arjuna. The Translucent Revolution: Stanley Krippner.
- Parapsychological Association. Who is Stanley Krippner?
- Krassner, Paul (2005). Life Among the Neopagans in The Nation, August 24, 2005 (web only).