Stannington railway station
|Stannington station house|
|Original company||North Eastern Railway|
|Post-grouping||London and North Eastern Railway
North Eastern Region of British Railways
|1 March 1847||Station opens|
|15 September 1958||Closed to passengers|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Stannington railway station was a railway station which served the village of Stannington in Northumberland, England. It was located on the East Coast Main Line. It was opened in 1847 as Netherton, and closed in 1958. The community around the location of the station is today known as Stannington Station.
The station was opened on 1 March 1847. It was located on the Newcastle & Berwick Railway between Morpeth and Cramlington. It was initially named Netherton, but was renamed to Stannington on 1 January 1892. The station buildings were designed by Benjamin Green.
The station remained open until 15 September 1958, when it was closed to passengers. Goods services to the site continued for another six years but were withdrawn in August 1964.
The site today
The site of the station is now an important level crossing over the present East Coast Main Line. The station house, a three-bedroomed property, is still in existence having been converted to residential use, although it has been substantially altered.
The station was located some distance from the village of Stannington, and a community grew up around the site which took the name of the station. The name Stannington Station is still used to refer to the area, which is located on the trunk A1 road and the smaller A192 road.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and station open
|North Eastern Railway
East Coast Main Line
- Stannington Station northumbrian-railways.co.uk
- Family's track record of station design Morpeth Herald, 8 April 2008
- Stannington Station:: OS Grid NZ2181 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland
- Rightmove.co.uk | Stannington Station House
- A1 re-opening at Stannington next month - Morpeth Herald
- Stannington Station:: OS Grid NZ2281 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland
- LTP3: Identifying the issues - Questionnaire responses
- SENRUG // South East Northumberland Rail User Group