Stanton County, Kansas
|Stanton County, Kansas|
Stanton County courthouse in Johnson City
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|• Total||680.06 sq mi (1,761 km2)|
|• Land||680.00 sq mi (1,761 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0 km2), 0.01%|
|• Density||3.3/sq mi (1.3/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Law and government
Although the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 to allow the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with the approval of voters, Stanton County has remained a prohibition, or "dry", county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 680.06 square miles (1,761.3 km2), of which 680.00 square miles (1,761.2 km2) (or 99.99%) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) (or 0.01%) is water.
- Hamilton County (north)
- Kearny County (northeast)
- Grant County (east)
- Stevens County (southeast)
- Morton County (south)
- Baca County, Colorado (west)
- Prowers County, Colorado (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,406 people, 858 households, and 638 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,007 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 84.41% White, 0.62% Black or African American, 1.21% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 12.51% from other races, and 1.08% from two or more races. 23.69% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 858 households out of which 40.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.50% were married couples living together, 6.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.60% were non-families. 22.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the county the population was spread out with 30.80% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 28.30% from 25 to 44, 19.50% from 45 to 64, and 13.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 104.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,172, and the median income for a family was $46,300. Males had a median income of $30,236 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,043. About 10.70% of families and 14.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.80% of those under age 18 and 12.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
Name and population (2004 estimate):
Stanton County is divided into three townships. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Big Bow||06600||338||1 (2)||558 (216)||0 (0)||0%|
|Manter||44400||312||0 (1)||647 (250)||0 (0)||0%|
|Stanton||67975||1,756||3 (8)||556 (215)||0 (0)||0.02%|
Unified school districts
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 7, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- U.S. County 2012 Estimated Census; census.gov
- U.S. Decennial Census; census.gov
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stanton County, Kansas.|
- General Information
- Kansas County Data
- Stanton County local history and genealogy
- Stanton County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
||Prowers County, Colorado||Hamilton County||Kearny County|
|Baca County, Colorado||Grant County|
|Morton County||Stevens County|