Staphorst city hall
Location in Overijssel
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Joop Alssema (CU)|
|• Total||135.69 km2 (52.39 sq mi)|
|• Land||134.22 km2 (51.82 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.47 km2 (0.57 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1 m (3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||122/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2012)|
All the farms were built along the long road through the bog area. Thus a lengthy row of farms was built, becoming the 7 miles long village of Staphorst-Rouveen. This phenomenon is called in Dutch: lintbebouwing (ribbon urbanization). In many parts of the Netherlands this type of village is quite common, e.g. Vriezenveen, the villages along river dykes in the Netherlands, the so-called moor-colonies in the provinces Drenthe and Groningen, as well as the German regions opposite the border.
A specialty for Staphorst is, that after a farmer's death, his land was often divided between his sons. The son who didn't inherit his father's farm built a farm-house for his own behind the other. Therefore, many pieces of farmland are very lengthy, yet narrow (e.g. 1500 x 40 metres). Originally, each piece of land was 125 metres wide.
The farms are of the traditional Low Saxon type. They have green doors and window shutters. Most farms existing now were built between 1850 and 1910.
Staphorst is still a largely orthodox Calvinist village and has one of the highest church attendancy rates of the Netherlands. In 1971, Staphorst became world news due to an outbreak of polio. 39 people (mostly children) became infected with polio. Of these, five died and a number of others became disabled. 20% of residents remain unvaccinated for religious reasons. As a result, Staphorst and other similar areas in the Netherlands are classified as risk areas by the WHO – the only such area in Europe.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Staphorst, 2013.
Staphorst had a sustainable birth rate till the beginning of 21st century. But during the 2000–2007 period birth rate plummeted considerably.
- Birth Rate: 15.79 per 1000 (down from 18.96 in 2000).
- Death Rate: 6.98 per 1000.
- NGR: +0.88%
- "College van B&W" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Staphorst. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7951DE". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- (Dutch) Over Staphorst, "Staphorst vroeger," Gemeente Staphorst.
- (Dutch) "Polio in Staphorst," Andere Tijden, VPRO (1 Nov 2007).
- "Largest families in Urk," CBS (Statistics Netherlands), Web magazine (1 September 2003 10:00).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Staphorst.|
||Steenwijkerland||Meppel (DR)||De Wolden (DR)|