|Parent company||Star Recording, Inc. (subsidiary of ABS-CBN Corporation)|
|Distributor(s)||Star Songs, Inc. (Philippines)|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Location||2nd Flr., ELJ Bldg., ABS-CBN Broadcast Center, Lopez Drive, Quezon City|
Star Records is a Filipino record label based in Quezon City, Philippines. It is owned by Star Recording, Inc., which in turn is owned and operated by the media conglomerate ABS-CBN Corporation. Its publishing and distribution subsidiary in the Philippines is Star Songs, Inc. and has about 900 titles in its catalog including the classic song "Anak" by Freddie Aguilar . Recently, Star Records launched Star Music, an online digital music store.
Star Records is a member of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry (PARI), a non-profit and private trade organization, that represents the recording industry distributors in the Philippines.
Star Records was founded in February 1995. The record label was created by ABS-CBN Corporation to diversify its functions from a broadcast media to a full entertainment company. Commercial operations of the label started in September 1995, signing an exclusive distribution agreement with Sony Music Entertainment Philippines in the entire country, except in Metro Manila. Due to its distribution agreement with Sony, Star Records endured problems with distributing titles in Metro Manila. In August 1996, the record label engage into licensing deals in order to strengthen its production base and gain entry into the Metro Manila market. It first signed a 3-year license agreement with JML Records, a local rock label. The deal enabled the label to gain control of its catalogue of 30 titles. Later, Star Records signed deals with foreign-independent labels such as Beaver Music of the Netherlands, Music of Life of the United Kingdom, and Rox of Belgium.
In October 1996, Star Records renewed its licensing deal with Sony which also includes 30 dealerships in Metro Manila. The deal enabled the label to get a significant presence in Metro Manila's market. By December of the same year, the label's number of signed artists increased to twenty artists. In June 1997, Star Records signed a distribution and licensing agreement with Taiwan's Rock Records, which also involved products from about forty independent European and American labels. Also under this deal, albums by named international artists helped improved Star Records' market profile.
- ASAP Music – Founded in 2006, is the music label for albums released for ASAP, ABS-CBN's Sunday noontime musical variety show.
- Black Bird Music – A sub-label; It is headed by Aiza Seguerra, which is also the label's founder.
- NuGen Records – A sub label for digital artists
- Star Songs – Star Records' music publishing arm.
- Star Music – The online music downloading service portal of Star Records.
- Budget Music
- Istilo Records
- Startraxx Records – formerly Star Records soundtrack-label released for ABS-CBN shows and Star Cinema's films
- "Company Information: Star Records, Inc.". ABS-CBN Investor Relations. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "About Star Songs". Star Records. Archived from the original on February 19, 2012. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "About Us". Star Music. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Corporate Members of the Philippine Association of the Record Industry". Philippine Association of the Record Industry. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Star Records, Inc. Corporate Profile". Philippine Association of the Record Industry. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Songwriter Acel to be launched as the country’s first digital artist". Philippine Entertainment Portal. June 22, 2007. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "About Us". ASAP. ABS-CBN. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Carol shares a piece of her life". The Philippine Star. December 6, 2010. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "Star Records signs up Chiro". The Philippine Star. August 15, 2011. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- "artist". abs-cbn.com.
- Star Music – Star Records digital portal
- Star Records on Facebook
- Star Records on Twitter
- Star Records on YouTube