Star Trek: Renegades
|Star Trek: Renegades|
Star Trek: Renegades teaser poster
|Directed by||Tim Russ|
|Composer(s)||Justin R. Durban|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Preceded by||Star Trek: Voyager|
|Related shows||Star Trek: Of Gods and Men|
|Star Trek: Renegades|
Star Trek: Renegades is a fan-created project to create a pilot for a new Star Trek series. Several former Star Trek actors will appear, including Walter Koenig, Robert Picardo, Manu Intiraymi, and Tim Russ. Tim Russ will also direct the pilot. Funding was successfully sought for production during 2012 through Kickstarter and additional funding was raised through Indiegogo in 2013. Another fundraising campaign, focusing on visual effects, was started on Indiegogo on April 3, 2014, and concluded on May 18, 2014.
It is ten years after the starship Voyager's return from the Delta Quadrant, and the Federation is in a crisis. The Federation's main suppliers of dilithium crystals (the primary catalyst for the fuel used in faster-than-light travel) are disappearing. Space and time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any contact with outside worlds. The phenomenon is not natural – someone or something is causing it to happen. This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation’s normal jurisdiction. For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander Tuvok, Voyager's former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized Section 31, Starfleet's autonomous intelligence and defense organization. Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew – mostly outcasts and rogues – and even criminals. This new crew is tasked with finding out what is causing the folding of time and space, and stopping it at all costs. But will they be able to put aside their differences and stop trying to kill one another in time to accomplish their mission?
The cast of Renegades include several Star Trek alumni, who in some cases are reprising their former roles.
- Walter Koenig as Admiral Pavel Chekov
- Tim Russ as Tuvok. Russ will also direct the pilot episode.
- Adrienne Wilkinson as Captain Lexxa Singh, leader of the Renegades and a direct descendant of Khan Noonien Singh.
- Sean Young as Dr. Lucien.
- Robert Picardo as Dr. Lewis Zimmerman, developer of the Emergency Medical Hologram.
- Gary Graham as Ragnar
- Richard Herd as Admiral Owen Paris
- Manu Intiraymi as Icheb
- Courtney Peldon as Shree, an Andorian con artist, thief and hacker.
- Larissa Gomes as T’Leah.
- Corin Nemec as Captain Alvarez.
- Bruce A. Young as Borrada.
- Edward Furlong as Fixer.
- Chasty Ballesteros as Ronara, a troubled young Betazoid.
- Tarah Paige as Commander Petrona
- Kevin Fry as Jaro Ruk, a somewhat unbalanced former Bajoran freedom fighter.
- Grant Imahara as Lt. Masaru, an aide to Admiral Pavel Chekov.
- Rico E. Anderson as Boras
- Vic Mignogna as Garis, a vicious Cardassian prisoner.
Garrett Wang was to return as Harry Kim but had scheduling conflicts with his involvement in Unbelievable!!!!!, a comedy film with other Star Trek alumni actors. He has stated however that he may return if the series goes ahead. J. G. Hertzler was originally set to play Borrada, the pilot's main antagonist but has since taken political office in New York.
Supporting cast and cameos
- Herbert Jefferson Jr. as Admiral Satterlee
- Clint Carmichael as Moordenaarr
- Jason Matthew Smith as Malbon
- John Carrigan as Admiral D’Agosto & Klingon Captain
- Lucky McQueede as Prak (The Breen)
- Crystal Conway as Cadet Chekov
- Madison Russ as Cadet Madison
- Carlo Alvarez as U.S.S Archer Ops Officer
- David Lieu as U.S.S Archer Con Officer
- Carla Deo as U.S.S Archer Bridge Officer
- Kyle Whisner as U.S.S Archer Security Officer 1
- Art Alvarez as U.S.S Archer Security Officer 2
- Ryan Husk as U.S.S Archer Security Officer 3
- William Shatner as Capt. Kirk in old recorded document (Cameo)
- Glen Wolfe as Muscular Prisoner
- Jan Kivisaar as Orion Prisoner
- Stacey Woolf as Concerned Mother & Woman in Compartment
- Bailey Feinberg as Frighted Daughter
- Jim Roof as San Francisco Citizen
- Shannon Malone as San Francisco Citizen & Mine Alien Woman
- Keith Beltramini as Orion Guard 1
- Franco D’Angelo as Orion Guard 2
- Greg Reed as Orion Prisoner 1
- Yoshi Vu as Orion Prisoner 2
- Robert Hooven as Orion Prisoner 4
- Adam J. Yeend as Starfleet Technical Officer
- Jessica Uberuaga as Aide to Admiral D’Agosto
- Sinn Bodhi as Syphon 1
- Jr Gennuso as Syphon 2
- Mark Hulsey as Syphon 3
- Anton Mabey as Mine Young Alien Man
- Tad Atkinson as Admiral Atkinson 
The team behind Renegades had previously produced Star Trek: Of Gods and Men. The production of Star Trek: Renegades was funded through crowd sourcing website Kickstarter in 2012. It requested $200,000 in funds, and beat that goal by $42,000. The episode will be shot at Laurel Canyon Studios in Los Angeles, utilising green screen techniques.
The premise originated on the final day of the Of Gods and Men shoot. Jack Trevino made the suggestion of a series where the cast had to work outside of the boundaries of Starfleet. Writer Ethan Calk later credited this as being the origins of the idea. The production team are aiming for three possible outcomes from the fan-made pilot: it will be picked up by CBS for a series, it will be made into a stand alone film, or it will be the first episode of an internet based series.
Additional funding was required because the script was more ambitious than previously proposed during the Kickstarter funding. Another fund raising campaign was started on Indiegogo raising over $130,000 of the requested $20,000.
Principal photography on the pilot commenced on October 2, 2013 and was completed on October 16, 2013 in Los Angeles. The film is now in post-production, with additional funding ongoing on the official website.
The full length pilot is expected to be 90 minutes long and will be released in early 2015.
- "Story & Synopsis". Renegade Studios. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- O'Connor, Kyrie (December 7, 2012). "'Star Trek' may get new, darker life". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Lipp, Chaz (March 4, 2013). "Highlights from Emerald City Comicon 2013: Patrick Stewart, Walter Koenig, and Billy Dee Williams". The Morton Report. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Casting Updates". Star Trek: Renegades. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Star Trek: Renegades Cast". Renegade Studios. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Star Trek: Renegades Starts Production". TrekNation. October 9, 2012. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Actress Courtney Peldon Joins the Star Trek Renegades Web Series". TrekWeb.com. November 14, 2012. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- "Garrett Wang Interview Star Trek Voyager". Red Carpet News TV. October 6, 2013. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Klingon warrior elected to N.Y. town board". USA Today. November 8, 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- Cullen, Ian. "Star Trek: Renegades Kickstarter Funding Drive Begins". Sci-Fi Pulse. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Leao, Gustavo (November 19, 2012). "Director Tim Russ, Producer Sky Conway and Co-Writer Ethan Halk Talk Star Trek Renegades Independent Web Series". TrekWeb.com. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "About: Star Trek: Renegades Official Teaser Trailer". Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Star Trek: Renegades Official Teaser Trailer". Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Star Trek: Renegades Official Teaser Trailer 2". Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- "Star Trek: Renegades Official". Retrieved August 30, 2014.