Star Wars: Battlefront (2015 video game)
|Star Wars: Battlefront|
|Developer(s)||EA Digital Illusions CE|
|Series||Star Wars: Battlefront|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, online multiplayer|
|Distribution||Optical disc, download|
Star Wars: Battlefront is an upcoming action video game in development by EA Digital Illusions CE and to be published by Electronic Arts. It is scheduled for release in mid-2015 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The game is the third main entry in the Star Wars: Battlefront series, and the first since 2005's Star Wars: Battlefront II.
In May 2013, publisher/developer Electronic Arts obtained exclusive rights to develop Star Wars games for gaming consoles, and its subsidiaries DICE, Visceral Games, and BioWare started work on Star Wars games.
DICE first acknowledged the game at Electronic Arts' E3 2013 press conference, along with a teaser trailer. The game is built with the Frostbite 3 engine; studio head Patrick Söderlund stated that the game would be "DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be", while still incorporating elements from the previous two games. As such, DICE did not brand the new game as a sequel to Battlefront II, but a reboot of the franchise. Söderlund said that the game almost wasn't developed, but that staffers at DICE lobbied to be given the project; he called DICE's development of Battlefront "a match made in heaven".
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (June 13, 2013). "Star Wars: Battlefront is "DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be"". Eurogamer. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (July 31, 2013). "Star Wars: Battlefront reboot due around summer 2015". Eurogamer. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- McWhertor, Michael (July 31, 2013). "DICE's Star Wars: Battlefront expected summer 2015, EA says". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Thier, Dave (June 10, 2013). "EA Announces New Star Wars: Battlefront Game". Forbes. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- McWhertor, Michael (June 10, 2013). "Star Wars Battlefront in development at Battlefield studio DICE". Polygon. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Robinson, Andy (June 24, 2013). "Interview: EA's Patrick Söderlund". Computer and Video Games. Future plc. p. 2. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- Petit, Carolyn (June 9, 2014). "E3 2014: Star Wars: Battlefront--We'll "See More Spring 2015"". Gamespot. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 13, 2014.