Starlight Children's Foundation
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (June 2008)|
Starlight Children’s Foundation® is a global charity that partners with experts to improve the life and health of kids and families around the world. Collaborating with innovators in pediatric healthcare, entertainment and technology, Starlight provides family-centered programs and services from hospital to home. Starlight partners with more than 1,750 healthcare facilities and pediatric hospitals in Australia, Canada, Israel, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, serving millions of children every year.
Rooted in the entertainment industry, Starlight was founded in 1982 by fourth generation filmmaker Peter Samuelson and his cousin, actress Emma Samms (born 1960). They were inspired to create Starlight after working together to bring a terminally ill young boy from London to Los Angeles to fulfill his dream of visiting Disneyland. Launched as a wish-granting organization, it has expanded its services to include family-centered programs. Steven Spielberg also serves as our Chairman Emeritus.
The foundation's programs include:
- Starlight Fun Centers are mobile entertainment units equipped with a gaming system that provides bedside entertainment and bring the healing power of play to young patients. For children facing surgery, enduring long outpatient treatments or fighting loneliness after hospital visiting hours have ended, Starlight Fun Centers provide a comforting break and fun distraction.
- Starlight Wish lists Starlight's technology platform enables donors to fill specific unmet needs directly and efficiently. The platform simplifies philanthropy by connecting donors with facilities to fulfill critical needs in pediatric care. Donors experience the satisfaction of knowing 100% of all pledges go directly to the facility of their choice.
- Starlight Escapes serve children who have been diagnosed with a chronic or life-threatening illness. Escapes are family outings for Starlight Kids ages 4-18 as well as their parents and siblings of all ages. Underwritten by sponsors, families in the program enjoy movies, concerts, sporting events, and other recreation away from healthcare facilities. *in select cities
- Hospital Happenings are parties and therapeutic workshops on-site at the hospital. These events include visits from musicians, clowns, and entertainers, plus other activities such as movie nights, game tournaments, and crafting extravaganzas.
- Starlight Wishes provide a dream-come-true experience to seriously ill or injured children ages 4 to 18.
- Starbright World is an online social network for teens with chronic and life-threatening medical conditions, and their siblings. Members are able to connect globally with others experiencing similar medical journeys. Powered by Starlight Children’s Foundation, all content in Starbright World is moderated by trained adults.
- Starlight Sites are inviting hospital environments created to support the healing of pediatric patients during their hospital stay. Since 1990, Starlight has been transforming hospital environments into colorful, entertaining oases that can be enjoyed by young patients and their families. The playrooms, teen lounges, and playgrounds offer diversions that include video games, computers, toys, crafts, music, and the company of other children.
- Starlight Tablets are a computing resource for kids while in the hospital. They are housed in a protective cover that complies with hospitals’ strict infection control protocols. During procedures or lengthy wait times, kids can play games, complete homework, communicate with friends, watch videos, and log in to Starbright World on a Starlight Tablet.
In 2007, Starlight partnered with Animax Entertainment and Legacy Interactive to produce the a downloadable casual game called The Tuttles Madcap Misadventures, which was used as a fundraiser for the charity.  The game features donated voice talent of William Shatner, Bob Saget, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ashley Tisdale, Dominic Scott Kay, Dave Thomas and Dave Coulier.
- Animax Official Press Starlight Official Press