Starr Township, Hocking County, Ohio
|Starr Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Hocking County.
|• Total||37.0 sq mi (95.8 km2)|
|• Land||37.0 sq mi (95.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||39.9/sq mi (15.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086324|
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Green Township - north
- Ward Township - northeast corner
- York Township, Athens County - east
- Waterloo Township, Athens County - southeast corner
- Brown Township, Vinton County - south
- Swan Township, Vinton County - southwest corner
- Washington Township - west
- Falls Township (southwestern portion) - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Starr Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hocking County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Hocking Valley, Ohio. Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883. p. 1036.
- History of Hocking Valley, Ohio. Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883. p. 28.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.