Stars Are Blind
|"Stars Are Blind"|
|Single by Paris Hilton|
|from the album Paris|
|Released||June 5, 2006
(See release history)
|Format||CD single, digital download, 12" single|
|Writer(s)||Fernando Garibay, Sheppard Solomon, Ralph McCarthy|
|Paris Hilton singles chronology|
"Stars Are Blind" is a song recorded by Paris Hilton for her debut album Paris. It was released as the first single in mid-2006 and has a reggae sound (produced by Fernando Garibay). The song reached the top five in Canada, Ireland and the UK and also topped the Hungarian Singles Chart.
A remix featuring reggaeton singers Wisin y Yandel was released in Latin America having heavy airplay and club success in countries like Colombia and Chile.
Critical response 
The song received positive reviews from most music critics. Stephen Thomas Erlewine from Allmusic called it "a breezy track". Sal Cinquemani from Slant says that "Paris's debut single, "Stars Are Blind" (which was commissioned to bridge the gap between the hip-hop and rock-inflected tunes on the album), has been the surprise of the summer, Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" notwithstanding; it's a sunny, reggae-hued love song that has eclipsed new singles by some of music's biggest stars. Leah Greenblatt from Entertainment Weekly called it: "a summery island groove". Alexis Petridis from The Guardian said that: "On Stars Are Blind, the combination of tinny cod-reggae and your-call-is-being-held-in-a-queue vocal technique results in something so plasticky, it's perversely enjoyable". Mark Daniels from Yahoo! Music said: "Even the plinky pop-reggae, never a good look, of single "Stars Are Blind" manages to ingratiate itself eventually".
Chart performance 
"Stars Are Blind" was one of the highest debuting singles in the U.S. in 2006, entering the Billboard Hot 100 at number eighteen due to strong digital sales. It had previously debuted at number two on the U.S. Bubbling Under Billboard Hot 100 Chart (equivalent to #102 on the US Billboard Top 100).
Music video 
Hilton shot the video for the single on Paradise Cove Beach in Malibu, California on May 24, 2006 directed by Chris Applebaum. The video for the song features many images of her walking and rolling around on the beach with a lover. It premiered on June 6, 2006 on MTV. The video is stated to be the International Version Video.
A second version of the video was shot for the European and Latin American countries, featuring Hilton's lover (played by Lucas Babin) from the beach as her photographer at a photoshoot. In this version, scenes from the beach are still present, but exist as Hilton's fantasies during the photoshoot. At the end of the video, she wins the affection of her photographer, but ends up just taking his keys and stealing his car. The second version premiered on Z100's website on July 5, 2006. The video is often called "Version 2" or "Black & White Version" or the "Clean version". This is the version that was accepted by other countries internationally rather than the first one.
Featured video games 
Legal controversy 
In June 2007 the copyright holders of the 1970 song "Kingston Town", Sparta Florida Music Group, started legal action against Hilton and Warner Chappell Music for plagiarism due to alleged similarities between "Stars Are Blind" and "Kingston Town". The two songs use the same chord progression in the verses. It has wrongly been ascribed that UB40 was the suing party, but that has been denied by the band themselves on their website.
Track listing and formats 
|1.||"Stars Are Blind"||Fernando Garibay, Sheppard Solomon, Ralph McCarthy||3:57|
|2.||"Stars Are Blind (Tracy Does Paris Radio Remix)"||3:34|
|Limited edition single|
|1.||"Stars Are Blind"||Fernando Garibay, Sheppard Solomon, Ralph McCarthy||3:57|
|2.||"Stars Are Blind (Luny Tunes remix ft. Wisin & Yandel)"||4:17|
|3.||"Stars Are Blind (Tracy Does Paris Club Mix)"||9:12|
|4.||"Stars Are Blind (Chus & Cheballos Stereo Mix)"||8:13|
|5.||"Stars Are Blind (The Scumfrog's Extreme Makeover)"||9:00|
|1.||"Stars Are Blind (Luny Tunes remix ft. Wisin & Yandel)"||4:16|
|2.||"Stars Are Blind (Chus & Cheballos Stereo Mix)"||4:53|
|3.||"Stars Are Blind (The Scumfrog's Extreme Makeover)"||4:57|
|4.||"Stars Are Blind (Tracy Does Paris Club Mix Edit)"||4:54|
|5.||"Stars Are Blind (Tracy Does Paris Dub Edit)"||4:58|
|6.||"Stars Are Blind (Tracy Does Paris Radio Remix)"||3:34|
Release history 
|Worldwide digital download||June 5, 2006|
|Australia||July 8, 2006|
|United States||July 11, 2006|
|United Kingdom||July 31, 2006|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||18|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||28|
|Czech Republic (IFPI)||6|
|European Hot 100 Singles||5|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||7|
|Hungary (Single Top 10)||1|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||12|
|New Zealand (RIANZ)||12|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||18|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Venezuela Pop Rock (Record Report)||2|
Chart procession and succession 
"C'est La Vie" by Kim English
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs number-one single
August 26, 2006
"Lost" by Roger Sanchez
End of year charts 
- Paris> Paris Hilton Album<> Allmusic Review
- Paris Hilton
- Paris - Music Review
- Yahoo! Music Album Review Paris Hilton - Paris
- Clover Hope, "Furtado Earns Second No. 1 Of The Week", Billboard.com, June 29, 2006.
- [dead link] Z100.com Retrieved on 05-22-07
- UB40 sue Paris Hilton over copyright
- Paris in UB40 rip-off row
- Press Statement: PARIS HILTON & UB40
- "Australian-charts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Hung Medien.
- "Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- "Ultratop.be – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Ultratop.be – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind" (in French). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200637 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". Tracklisten. Hung Medien.
- "Paris Hilton Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Paris Hilton. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Finnishcharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". Suomen virallinen lista. Hung Medien.
- "Lescharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind" (in French). Les classement single. Hung Medien.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 10 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ – Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Italiancharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". Top Digital Download. Hung Medien.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Paris Hilton search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". VG-lista. Hung Medien.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200635 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- "Paris Hilton – Stars Are Blind – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- "Paris Hilton" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- "Paris Hilton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Paris Hilton. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Paris Hilton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Paris Hilton. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Paris Hilton Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play for Paris Hilton. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Pop Rock" (in Spanish). Record Report. 2006-07-15. Archived from the original on 2006-07-15.
- The ARIA Report