Stars of the Lid
|Stars of the Lid|
|Origin||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Associated acts||The Dead Texan, Aix Em Klemm, A Winged Victory for the Sullen|
|Past members||Kirk Laktas|
Stars of the Lid is a duo specializing in drone-based ambient music. They list among their influences minimalist and electronic composers such as Arvo Pärt, Zbigniew Preisner, Gavin Bryars, and Henryk Górecki, as well as Talk Talk (both bands have tracks named "Taphead"), post-rock artists Labradford, and ambient innovator Brian Eno. Their songs are largely beatless soundscapes, composed of droning, effects-treated guitars along with piano, strings, and horns; volume swells and feedback fill the gap of rhythmic instruments, providing dynamic movement within the songs. Their sound has been described as "divine, classical drone without the tedious intrusion of drums or vocals".
Formed in Austin, Texas, in 1993, SOTL is composed of two members — Brian McBride and Adam Wiltzie. McBride explained in an interview that the band's name refers to "your own personal cinema, located between your eye and eyelid", suggesting the colors and patterns one can see with closed eyes (either phosphenes or closed-eye hallucinations). Both have released solo material, the former under his own name and the latter under The Dead Texan alias. Their two most recent releases have been triple LPs released to generally positive reviews. Adam Wiltzie currently lives in Brussels, Belgium and Brian McBride in Los Angeles, USA.
Recent activity 
|This section is outdated. (January 2013)|
On April 7, 2007, Stars of the Lid released triple LP, double CD album Stars of the Lid and Their Refinement of the Decline.
In 2007 Stars of the Lid performed in England, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland.
Their tour of North America was from mid-April to May 2008. Their North American line-up included Julia Kent on cello.
A teaser for an upcoming Stars of the Lid feature film has since surfaced on the internet.
- Piero Scaruffi. Interview with Stars Of The Lid
- Southern Records. Stars Of The Lid biography
- Maelstrom. Interview with Stars Of The Lid
- The spelling "Carte-de-Visite" is the one used at Brainwashed.com. A 59-min collection of mostly new material, 9 tracks from 1997–2007: 6 outtakes from previous albums (1997, 2001, 2007), 2 previously unreleased tracks (1997, 1999), and the track from the split release Kahanek Incident (1997). Originally a 2007 limited release sold during a live tour; reissued in May 2009 as an unlimited release. Considered a 2007 album (the 2009 reissue kept the tracklist title "Carte-de-Visite, SOTL, 2007"). "Carte de Visite" (lit. "Card of Visit") is French for "Visiting Card"/"Calling Card"/"Business Card".
- Stars of the Lid at Brainwashed (official website)
- Stars of the Lid at MySpace
- Stars of the Lid at Kranky Records (biography, discography)
- Stars of the Lid at Allmusic (biography, discography)
- Stars of the Lid at Epitonic Records (tracks, brief biography)
- Stars of the Lid at Piero Scaruffi (discography, link to 1998 interview)
- Stars of the Lid at Vimeo (teaser for an upcoming SOTL feature film)