|Birth name||LaNeah Menzies|
May 27, 1988 |
|Genres||R&B, Pop, Hip Hop, Dance|
|Labels||Matriarch, Interscope, Streamline|
|Associated acts||Mary J Blige, Kanye West|
Starshell (born LaNeah Menzies; May 27, 1988) is an American actress, model, songwriter, singer and recording artist.
Life and career
Starshell was born to African-American and Brazilian parents and was raised in Lowell, Massachusetts. 
Starshell began her career as a childhood actor and model. As a teenager, she pursued her music career and soon after college, signed to Universal Music Group's Interscope Records through Mary J. Blige's Matriarch Record company. She co-penned “Love Lockdown” for pop superstar Kanye West, which debuted at number three on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and went on to sell over three million copies. In 2009 she co-penned “I Can See in Color” and “Closer” for Mary J. Blige. The former was featured in the Oscar-nominated film, “Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire,” while the latter is featured on Blige’s album, “Stronger With Each Tear.” Starshell's first single, Superluva, produced by Fernando Garibay and written by Starshell and Nire Alldai, was released in the Summer of 2010. The single was followed by a retro-pop remix version produced by DJ Cassidy, entitled "Superluva "Cass & Dubs remix." In the summer of 2012, Starshell toured with Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias on their 'Dance Again' tour, as well as on Mary J. Blige and D'Angelo's 'Liberation tour'. Starshell released the first single, 'Birthday Girl,' via iTunes on February 7, 2012. Starshell's clothing line, Birthday Girl, consisting of a wide range of basics was launched in 2013 with the help of Kickstarter. She also appeared on the Law and Order Special Victims Unit in February.
In June 2013, Starshell partnered with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to raise awareness about suicide and suicide prevention. She was announced as the national spokesperson for the Foundation at AFSP’s annual Overnight Walk. She released a song with the campaign, "My Star," co-penned by Ne-Yo in tribute to her deceased sister who had also committed suicide.
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2013||"My Star" |
- "Kanye West - Love Lockdown". Musicnotes.com.
- "RIAA – Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Nielsen Business Media Inc. 2010-08-18. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- Martens, Todd (2009-10-31). "Mary J. Blige on 'Precious' song 'I Can See in Color': 'I was damaged, in a good way'". L.A. Times.
- "Starshell - Superluva". iTunes. 2010-10-19.
- "Starshell - Superluva (Cass & Dubs Remix)". iTunes. 2011-02-01.
- "Dance Again Tour".
- "Starshell - Birthday Girl - Single Release". Interscope Artist Page. 2012-02-07.
- "Starshell 'Birthday Girl' Video Teaser: Kanye Collaborator Plays With Cake". AOL The Boom Box. 2012-02-01.