Start a Band
|"Start a Band"|
|Single by Brad Paisley and Keith Urban|
|from the album Play|
|Released||September 15, 2008|
|Length||5:26 (album version)
3:58 (radio version)
|Brad Paisley singles chronology|
"Start a Band" is the title of a country music song written by Dallas Davidson, Ashley Gorley and Kelley Lovelace. It was recorded as a duet between Brad Paisley and Keith Urban for Paisley's sixth studio album Play. Released in September 2008 as the only single from that album, it is also one of only four non-instrumental tracks on the album. It is Paisley's twenty-second entry on the Billboard country charts, and Urban's eighteenth.
"Start a Band" is one of only four non-instrumental tracks on Play. Both Paisley and Urban sing and play guitar on the song, which is a moderate up-tempo in which the narrators decide that they will start a band instead of pursuing more academical ventures. In the chorus, they suggest to others who are "living in a world that they don't understand" that they, too, should "get [themselves] some buddies and start a band". According to Great American Country, Paisley described the song to The Plain Dealer as "probably not what you think, in the sense that it's not a blazing-fast thing…It's more of a rockin' Eagles-style tune, like back when Joe Walsh and Don Felder would play those harmony parts." 
In the album's liner notes, Paisley writes:
"People have been asking for years when Keith and I would do something like this. I am so honored to get to finally pick and sing with one of my favorite players in the world. I am so humbled by his talent."
- Brad Paisley - lead and backing vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar
- Keith Urban - lead and backing vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar
- Randle Currie - steel guitar
- Eric Darken - percussion
- Wes Hightower - background vocals
- Gary Hooker - rhythm guitar
- Kenny Lewis - bass guitar
- Ben Sesar - drums
- Justin Williamson - fiddle
The song reached Number One on the chart week of January 24, 2009, becoming Paisley's thirteenth Number One song (and ninth consecutive), as well as Urban's ninth Number One. The song was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration With Vocals at the 52nd Grammy Awards.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||51|
|US Billboard Hot 100||55|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||55|
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
January 24, 2009
by Alan Jackson
- "Brad Paisley & Keith Urban: Dueling Guitars". Great American Country. 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2008-09-27.
- Paisley, Brad (2008). "Some Special Notes On A Few Songs". Play [CD booklet]. Nashville: Arista Records.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Brad Paisley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Brad Paisley. Retrieved February 6, 2011.
- "Best of 2009: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2009.