Starting Over (Reba McEntire album)
|Studio album by Reba|
|Released||October 3, 1995|
|Producer||Tony Brown, Reba McEntire, Michael Omartian (exec.)|
Starting Over is the twenty-second album released by American country singer Reba McEntire in 1995. It was a tribute to her roots and influences, featuring cover versions of songs by artists whom she admired growing up. Among the artists being covered were Dolly Parton, Donna Summer, Linda Ronstadt, The Supremes, Lee Greenwood and Patti LaBelle. The album featured only one Top 10 single, "Ring On Her Finger, Time On Her Hands", which had been previously a Top Ten country hit for Greenwood in the mid-1980s; McEntire's rendition was a Top Ten hit as well upon its 1996 release, reaching No. 9 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.
McEntire called on Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride and Linda Davis to join her for "On My Own", the album's first single. Additionally, a CBS television special entitled Reba: Celebrating 20 Years featured McEntire performing songs from the album in concert interspersed with footage of her returning home to her family in Oklahoma. The special was eventually released separately on video. The album peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard country albums chart and at No. 5 on the Billboard 200. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA 3 months after its release.
Love to Infinity produced remixes of the track "You Keep Me Hangin' On" that were released to dance clubs in the US. As a result, this song spent two weeks at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart, McEntire's only hit on this survey.
It debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Country Albums chart for the week of October 21, 1995 selling 101,000 copies. It stayed at No. 1 for two consecutive weeks. It stayed in the Top Ten for 19 weeks. It debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart for the week of October 21, 1995 and stayed in the Top Ten for two weeks.
|1.||"Talking in Your Sleep"||Roger Cook, Bobby Wood||4:20|
|2.||"Please Come to Boston"||Dave Loggins||4:37|
|3.||"On My Own" (with Linda Davis, Martina McBride and Trisha Yearwood)||Carole Bayer Sager, Burt Bacharach||4:31|
|4.||"I Won't Mention It Again"||Cameron L. Mullins, Carolyn Jean Yates||4:11|
|5.||"You're No Good"||Clint Ballard, Jr.||3:30|
|6.||"Ring on Her Finger, Time on Her Hands"||Don Goodman, Pam Rose, Mary Ann Kennedy||4:10|
|7.||"Five Hundred Miles Away From Home"||Bobby Bare, Charlie Williams, Hedy West||4:21|
|8.||"Starting Over Again"||Bruce Sudano, Donna Summer||4:07|
|9.||"You Keep Me Hangin' On"||Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Edward Holland Jr.||3:22|
|10.||"By The Time I Get to Phoenix"||Jimmy Webb||3:59|
- Produced By Tony Brown & Reba
- Engineered & Mixed By John Guess & Derek Bason
- Recorded By Terry Christian & Grant Greene (additional recording by Steve Tillisch & Pete Martinez)
- Overdubs Recorded By Terry Christian & King Williams
Charts and certifications
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|1995||"On My Own"||20||—||22|
|"Ring on Her Finger, Time on Her Hands"||9||—||14|
|1996||"Starting Over Again"||19||—||26|
|"You Keep Me Hangin' On"||—||2||—|
- Starting Over (Reba McEntire album) at AllMusic
- "American album certifications – Reba Mc Entire – Starting Over". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco 1974-2003, (Record Research Inc.), page 172.
- "Starting Over - Reba McEntire". Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "RPM Country Albums for November 6, 1995". RPM. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "RPM Top Albums for October 30, 1995". RPM. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "Reba McEntire Album & Song Chart History: Country Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "Reba McEntire Album & Song Chart History: Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "RPM Country Tracks for October 30, 1995". RPM. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "RPM Country Tracks for February 5, 1996". RPM. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- "RPM Country Tracks for June 3, 1996". RPM. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
All I Want
by Tim McGraw
|Top Country Albums number-one album
October 21 - November 3, 1995
All I Want
by Tim McGraw
Now That I've Found You: A Collection
by Alison Krauss & Union Station
|RPM Country Albums number-one album
November 6–19, 1995
The Greatest Hits Collection
by Alan Jackson