|Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien|
Soledad O'Brien: January 2, 2012-March 29, 2013John Berman and Christine Romans: April 1, 2013-June 14, 2013
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Shannon High|
|Location(s)||New York City|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||January 2, 2012 – June 14, 2013|
Starting Point (formerly Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien) was a morning television show on CNN anchored by Soledad O'Brien. It premiered on January 2, 2012 and aired weekdays from 7:00AM to 9:00AM ET. with a final broadcast on March 29, 2013. Along with Early Start, Starting Point replaced American Morning, which aired from 2001 to 2011. In early 2013, CNN announced that Starting Point had been cancelled. O'Brien left the program on March 29, 2013 and the show was hosted by John Berman and Christine Romans for the remainder of its time on the air.
CNN described the show as a "conversational ensemble" with O'Brien at its center. It was broadcast from CNN's studios in New York City, but had also broadcast in various diners around the United States. Frequent panelists included Will Cain, Margaret Hoover, and Roland S. Martin.
2012 presidential election
The show followed the 2012 Republican primary trail by broadcasting from states where primaries are held, usually in local diners and cafes. In its first two weeks, O'Brien anchored first from Des Moines, Iowa and then Manchester, New Hampshire to cover the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary respectively. Other cities the show has covered include Charleston, South Carolina and Jacksonville Beach, Florida.
Reports emerged in September 2011 that CNN was seeking to replace American Morning due to poor ratings by bringing Soledad O'Brien back to its morning lineup. O'Brien co-hosted American Morning from 2003 to 2007. By November 2011, CNN announced that American Morning would be replaced by two new programs, with O'Brien anchoring the second slot from 7:00-9:00AM. The show's name was announced as Starting Point via Twitter. In early 2013, CNN announced that Starting Point had been cancelled and that Soledad O'Brien would continue to produce documentaries for CNN and other networks by launching her own production company.
The final show with O'Brien as host aired on March 29, 2013. Since then, the show has been hosted by John Berman and Christine Romans. The final show aired on June 14, 2013 because New Day its replacement commenced on June 17, 2013. The final episode was hosted by Don Lemon and Christine Romans.
- Ariens, Chris (2011-12-29). "New CNN Morning Show to Launch Monday". TV Newser. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Mirkinson, Jack (2011-11-03). "Soledad O'Brien CNN Morning Show Announced, Replacing 'American Morning'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Transcript: Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien". CNN. 2012-01-16. Archived from the original on 2012-01-16.
- "Transcript: Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien". CNN. 2012-01-12. Archived from the original on 2012-01-13. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- "Soledad O'Brien anchors Starting Point from Iowa today'". CNN. 2012-01-01. Archived from the original on 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2012-01-02.
- O'Brien, Soledad (2012-01-06). Romney advisor responds to Globe endorsement of Huntsman and talks campaign (Television production). CNN. Archived from the original on 2012-01-06. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Transcript: Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien". CNN. 2012-01-20. Archived from the original on 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Transcript: Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien". CNN. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- Mirkinson, Jack (2011-09-15). "Soledad O'Brien May Return To 'American Morning'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- CNN Public Relations (2011-12-29). "Beginning Jan. 2nd Starting Point with @Soledad_OBrien airs 7-9aET, live from Des Moines, Iowa. Follow @StartingPtCNN #CNNElection". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "CNN Joins Forces with Soledad OâBrienâs New Production Company". CNN. 2013-02-21.
|CNN Weekday Lineup