Starwood Capital Group
|Services||hotels, retail, commercial lending|
Starwood Capital Group is an American private investment firm headquartered in Greenwich, Connecticut. The businesses owned by the firm include Starwood Property Trust, Inc., Starwood Energy Group Global, L.L.C., Starwood Real Estate Securities, L.L.C., and SH Group. It was co-founded by Barry Sternlicht and Robert Faith (who later went on to found Greystar Real Estate Partners).
In 2009, a consortium led by Starwood Capital bought 40 percent of the loan portfolio of Corus Bank, a failed company. In 2010 Starwood Capital Group lost an auction to buy Extended Stay Hotels to Centerbridge Partners. Starwood filed an objection against the sale to Centerbridge with the bankruptcy court in Manhattan.
On July 12, 2010, Riviera Holdings – owners of the Riviera hotel and casino in Las Vegas, Nevada; and Riviera Black Hawk in Black Hawk, Colorado – filed a Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition in Las Vegas together with a reorganization plan, under which secured lenders, led by Starwood Capital Group, would receive new debt and stock.
In 2012, the company began construction on a chain of hotels under the name of Baccarat Hotels and Resorts which will feature crystal chandeliers from Baccarat. The flagship hotel will be in New York City, New York, on the site of the old Donnell Library Center, which it had bought from the 21 Club. Other complexes are scheduled to open in 2014 and 2015 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Rabat, Morocco; Carthage, Tunisia; Marrakech, Morocco; and Foshan, Shanghai; and Tianjin, China.
In December 2013, Starwood bought properties from the Swedish retail group Kooperativa Förbundet for 3.9 billion Swedish kronor, or $593.3 million. The seven prime location retail parks and shopping gallerias are located in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, and Uppsala in Sweden.
In February 2014, in a 1-for-5 stock distribution, Starwood Property Trust spun off Starwood Waypoint Residential Trust, a single-family rental real estate investment trust.
On 26 March 2014 Starwood Capital became an indirect minority shareholder of A.S. Roma (9.36%), through purchasing 20% shares of AS Roma SPV; AS Roma SPV was the direct major shareholder of NEEP Roma Holding (60%); NEEP Roma Holding was the major shareholder of AS Roma SpA (78.038%).
In the summer of 2014, Starwood purchased 7 upscale malls from Taubman Centers for a total of $1.4 billion. The malls are located in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, and Michigan. 
- "Contact Us." Its chairman and chief executive officer is Barry Sternlicht. Starwood Capital Group. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- "Starwood Businesses: Past and Present". Starwood Capital Group. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- Staff (July 13, 2010). "Riviera Bankruptcy May Put Starwood in Control". The News-Times. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Magin, James L. (October 6, 2009). "Starwood Capital Takes Over Failed Corus". Pacific Business News Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Humer, Caroline (June 15, 2010). "Starwood Fights Extended Stay Sale to Centerbridge". Reuters. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- Karmin, Craig; Hudson, Kris (April 24, 2012). "Starwood's Crystal Vision". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- . Baccarat Hotels.
- "Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- "Your Brooklyn Bridge Park Yuppie Overlords Got The Deal Of The Century". Gothamist. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Young, Vicki M. (27 December 2013). "Starwood Capital Acquires Swedish Retail Properties". WWD. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Exclusive: De Vere Venues CEO Tony Dangerfield steps down". Conference News. 11 July 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Starwood Capital Group buys Four Pillars Hotels". The Caterer. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- "Starwood Property Trust Announces Completion of Spin-Off of Starwood Waypoint Residential Trust". Wall Street Journal MarketWatch. 3 February 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "STARWOOD CAPITAL GROUP ENTERS STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP TO HELP DEVELOP AS ROMA’S NEW STADIUM CAMPUS" (PDF). Starwood Capital. 26 March 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Starwood Closes Acquisition of 7 Malls from Taubman for $1.4B". 20 October 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
.com, the company's official website
|This article about a financial services corporation of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|