Harold Washington Library – State/Van Buren (CTA station)
|Address||One West Van Buren Street
Chicago, Illinois 60605
Purple Line weekday rush hours only
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||October 3, 1897|
|Closed||September 2, 1973|
|Rebuilt||June 22, 1997|
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Passengers (2012)||1,338,638 2.8% (CTA)|
Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren (formerly Library-State/Van Buren, commonly abbreviated as Library) is a handicapped accessible 'L' station serving the CTA's Brown, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines. Originally, the station was to have direct access to the second floor of the Harold Washington Library building, but this direct connection was never built. Farecard transfers are also available at the station for the Blue and Red Lines via the Jackson/Dearborn and Jackson/State subway stations, respectively. It was originally known as State/Van Buren when it first opened in 1897. The original station closed on September 2, 1973, along with six other stations, due to low ridership, and demolished in 1975. The new station was rebuilt and reopened on June 22, 1997 in order to serve the city's central library, Harold Washington Library. The Chicago Transit Authority board voted unanimously on Wednesday, October 6, 2010, to rename the station to its current name. It is the second newest station in the Loop with Washington/Wells being the first.
- #2 Hyde Park Express
- #6 Jackson Park Express
- #10 Museum of Science and Industry
- #22 Clark
- #24 Wentworth
- #29 State
- #36 Broadway
- #62 Archer (Owl Service)
- #146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express
- #147 Outer Drive Express
- Buck, Thomas (September 2, 1973). "CTA Shutting Down 7 Rapid Transit Stations Today". Chicago Tribune. p. 5.
- Hilkevitch, Jon (June 18, 1997). "Library Going on CTA Line - New Rail Station to Bring Riders Right Next to Books". Chicago Tribune. p. 3.
- Hilkevitch, Jon. "'L' stop named for Mayor Harold Washington". Chicago Breaking News. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 7, 2010.
Media related to Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons
- Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren Station Page
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. IL-1-B, "Union Elevated Railroad, State Street Station"
- CTA - Train schedules: PDF PDF PDF PDF
- PDF (172 KiB)