State Farm Insurance
|Type||Mutual (main company)|
|Founded||June 7, 1922 |
|Founder(s)||George J. Mecherle|
|Headquarters||Bloomington, Illinois, U.S.|
|Number of locations||17,700 agents
343 claim offices
30 operations centers
|Area served||USA and Canada|
|Key people||Edward B. Rust, Jr. (Chairman/CEO)|
|Services||Insurance, Banking, Investing|
|Revenue||US$64.3 billion (2011) 1.7%|
|Net income||US$800 million (2011) US$1 billion|
|Total assets||US$196.543 billion (2011) |
|Total equity||US$60.795 billion (2011)|
|Divisions||Insurance; mutual funds; State Farm Bank|
|Subsidiaries||see Companies below|
||This article needs attention from an expert on the subject. (September 2010)|
The group's main business is State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, a mutual insurance firm that also owns the other State Farm companies. The corporate headquarters are in Bloomington, Illinois.
State Farm was founded in 1922 by retired farmer George J. Mecherle as a mutual automobile insurance company owned by its policyholders. The firm originally specialized in auto insurance for farmers. The company later expanded its services into other types of insurance, such as homeowners and life insurance, in addition to banking and financial services.
As of December 2008 State Farm had 67,000 employees and 17,000 agents. March 2009 figures show the group servicing 77 million policies in the United States and Canada, of which over 40,000,000 are for automobiles, and more than 2 million bank accounts.
Edward B. Rust, Jr. is the current chairman and CEO of State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, as well as president and chief executive officer of State Farm Fire and Casualty Company, State Farm Life Insurance Company, and other principal State Farm affiliates.
On March 1, 2007, State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company announced it will pay $1.25 billion in dividends to its mutual auto insurance policyholders in 46 states, the District of Columbia and the Canadian province of New Brunswick.
The State Farm interlocked tri-oval logo was created in the mid-to-late 1940’s and was later updated in 1953. For nearly 60 years, this design was critical to its brand image.
On December 15, 2011, State Farm decided to transform their interlocked tri-oval logo to a simpler, contemporary logo to showcase the company’s core service offerings of auto, fire, and life. The new logo was introduced January 1, 2012 and would mark the company’s 90th anniversary. It consists of a simple three oval design adjacent to the State Farm wordmark. According to Pam El, Marketing Vice President at State Farm, a change in image was needed to employ a bolder presence that could compete in today’s digital world.
- State Farm Fire and Casualty Company
- State Farm Life Insurance Company
- State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (NY/CT/WI)
- State Farm County Mutual Insurance Company of Texas (TX auto)
- State Farm Mutual Insurance Company of Texas (TX preferred auto)
- State Farm Indemnity Company / State Farm Guaranty Insurance Company (NJ auto)
- State Farm General Insurance Company (CA home)
- State Farm Florida Insurance Company (FL home)
- State Farm Lloyds (TX home/commercial)
- State Farm Bank, F.S.B.
- State Farm Investment Management Corp. (SFIMC)
- State Farm VP Management Corp. (SFVPMC)
- State Farm International Service, Inc.
- State Farm Associate's Funds Trust
- State Farm Mutual Fund Trust
- State Farm Investor Services (Canada) Co.
- State Farm Finance Corporation of Canada
- SF Insurance Placement Corporation of Canada
- Insurance Placement Services, Inc.
- State Farm International Life Insurance Company Ltd.
- Plaza One Realty Co.
- State Farm Guaranty Insurance Company
- State Farm Variable Product Trust
|This section requires expansion. (June 2008)|
|George J. Mecherle||1922–1937|
|Edward B. Rust, Sr.||1970–1985|
|Edward B. Rust, Jr.||1985 – present|
State Farm has expanded into the financial services arena, such as banking and mutual funds. The bank opened in May 1999 and is operated by State Farm Financial Services, FSB, a subsidiary of State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. These are separate from its insurance products. State Farm Bank does not have branch offices. Its regular banking services, which include checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit, and money market accounts, are available to consumers countrywide via the Internet or over the phone, and through agents in Arizona, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, or New Mexico. Home mortgages are available countrywide over the phone or through agents in those five states.
Back in the 1950's, State Farm held a contest, among the agents, to come up with ideas to expand State Farm's business. Robert H Kent, agent in Chicago, came up with the idea of providing auto loans to existing policyholders. Robert H Kent was friends with a local bank president at LaSalle NW, and the two teamed up to pilot the auto finance program. State Farm liked the idea so much, that it was rolled out to all the agents. Robert H Kent received royalties on the program for 20 years. This is a significant event, as it created the first marketing patnership between insurance companies and banks.
Florida withdrawal and reentry
|This section requires expansion. (March 2009)|
In early 2009, State Farm's Florida subsidiary, the state's largest insurer, threatened to withdraw from writing property insurance business in Florida after state regulators refused to approve a 47% property rate increase. State Farm said that, in Florida, it had paid out $1.21 in claims for every dollar in premiums since 2000. Several other home insurers have pulled out of Florida as well; many homeowners are now using the Citizens Property Insurance Corporation run by the state government. State Farm has since decided to remain in Florida, although with a reduced amount of property policies.
In 2010 State Farm and Renaissance jointly formed DaVinci Reinsurance Ltd. which insured more than 3.5 million homes in 2010.
A 2007 investigation by CNN reported that major car insurance companies, including State Farm and Allstate Insurance, are increasingly fighting claims from those alleging injury. Some injured parties argued these were unfair practices. State Farm and Allstate have denied these allegations.  This followed on the heels of criminal investigations by the states of Louisiana and Mississippi, alleging that State Farm had wrongly denied claims stemming from Hurricane Katrina. Plaintiff's attorney Richard F "Dickie" Scruggs later pleaded guilty in March for his role in trying to pay Judge Henry Lackey of Mississippi a $50,000 bribe for a favorable ruling in a related case involving a $26.5 million settlement after Hurricane Katrina. This was widely viewed as a major victory and exoneration for State Farm.
State Farm's top automobile insurance competitors, based on premium written, include Allstate, Progressive, GEICO, Zurich Financial Services, Nationwide, USAA, Liberty Mutual, American International Group, and American Family Insurance Group.
- State Farm Arena, a multi-purpose complex that features concerts and sports events.
- State Farm Center, a multi-purpose arena and home of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign men's and women's basketball teams.
- State Farm Classic, a golf tournament for professional female golfers that is part of the LPGA Tour.
- State Farm Holiday Classic, an annual high school holiday basketball tournament held in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois each December.
- State Farm Hall of Business, College of Business Building at Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois, since 2010.
- State Farm Lone Star Showdown, moniker for all varsity athletics competitions between Texas A&M University and The University of Texas at Austin.
- State Farm Research Center, a research extension of State Farm Insurance located at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- State Farm Territorial Cup Series, moniker for all varsity athletics competitions between the University of Arizona and Arizona State University.
- State Farm Sales Lab, a clinical sales training center at the University of Central Missouri, where the national State Farm Marketing and Sales Competition is held.
State Farm Safety Patrol – State Farm, in partnership with several U.S. highway authorities, operates a service called the State Farm Safety Patrol which provides free roadside assistance to stranded motorists on participating highways, when you call the designated telephone number for the Safety Patrol they will respond and provide the following services: fuel refills; radiator refills; engine oil refills. Most Safety Patrol personnel are also CPR and Automated External Defibrillator certified. They work to reduce accident rates, minimize the duration time of incidents, assist disabled drivers and remove road debris. Turnpikes which currently participate include, Florida's Turnpike in the State of Florida and the Pennsylvania Turnpike in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- "State Farm Companies". State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company. Retrieved May 28, 2008.
- "Fast facts about State Farm". State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company. Retrieved May 28, 2008.
- "State Farm Profit Took Hit in Stormy 2011". 'Insurance Journal'. March 1, 2012. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Fortune 500 2012". Time Warner. 2012. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- CNN http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2013/full_list/
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- State Farm – 1960s & 1970s
- Weezer cover of State Farm jingle
- State Farm Announces $1.25 Billion Mutual Auto Policyholder Dividend
- "State Farm Contemporizes Its Brand Logo". State Farm. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- "Insure- State Farm Loans". Insure.com. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "Florida's Unnatural Disaster: Charlie Crist, taxpayers and the next hurricane.". The Wall Street Journal. February 4, 2009. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- Reed, Matt (March 3, 2011). "Insurers still like Florida". Florida Today (Melbourne, Florida). pp. 1B.
- "Auto insurers play hardball in minor-crash claims". CNN (CNN.com). Retrieved May 24, 2010.
- Federal judge rejects $50M State Farm settlement
- Class-Action Lawyer Gets 5 Years in Bribery Case
- State Farm Safety Patrol on Florida's Turnpike and the Sawgrass Expressway official website
- State Farm Safety Patrol on the Pennsylvania Turnpike official website
- State Farm – main official website
- State Farm Canada
- State Farm's University of Illinois Research Center