Texas State Highway 240
|Maintained by TxDOT|
|Length:||43.250 mi (69.604 km)|
|Existed:||1939 – present|
|West end:||US 287 near Harrold|
|I-44 / US 277 / US 281 in Burkburnett|
Bus. US 287 in Wichita Falls
SH 240 begins at an intersection with US 287 south of Harrold in eastern Wilbarger County. The route travels eastward and soon crosses into Wichita County, intersecting SH 25 in Haynesville. The highway enters the city of Burkburnett along 3rd Street before turning to the south and crossing the I-44 freeway. SH 240 then roughly parallels the freeway, and passes Sheppard AFB as it enters Wichita Falls city limits along Burkburnett Road. SH 240 parallels the Wichita, Tillman and Jackson Railway line as it travels through the city center before the route ends at Bus. US 287 on the east side of the city.
SH 240 was originally designated in 1939 from Harrold to Burkburnett. It was extended south to Wichita Falls in 1964 over the former route of US 277 / US 281 / US 287 when the new route was opened.
|Wilbarger||0.0||0.0||US 287 – Wichita Falls, Childress||Western terminus|
|Wichita||Haynesville||6.2||10.0||SH 25 – Electra|
|22.7||36.5||FM 368 – Iowa Park|
|26.2||42.2||Loop 267 south (Ave. D)||East end of Loop 267 concurrency|
|26.9||43.3||Loop 267 north (E. 3rd St.) to I-44||West end of Loop 267 concurrency|
|28.3||45.5||I-44 / US 277 / US 281 – Wichita Falls, Lawton|
|Wichita Falls||37.4||60.2||Spur 325|
|40.1||64.5||FM 171 east (Jefferson St.)||East end of FM 171 concurrency|
|40.3||64.9||FM 171 west (Lincoln St.)||West end of FM 171 concurrency|
|41.3||66.5||Spur 447 to US 82|
Bus. US 287 (Scott Ave.) – Henrietta
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Texas State Highway Department (Texas Department of Transportation) (1938). Texas Highway Map (Map).
- Transportation Planning and Programming Division. "State Highway No. 240". Highway Designation Files. Texas Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2008-04-04.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 357. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/357.pdf. Retrieved 2011-11-24.[dead link]
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 387. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/387.pdf. Retrieved 2011-11-24.[dead link]
- Texas Department of Transportation (2012) (PDF). Texas County Map Book (Map). 1:120,000. Cartography by Transportation Planning and Programming Division (2012 ed.). p. 388. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/388.pdf. Retrieved 2011-11-24.[dead link]
- Google Inc. "State Highway 240". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=TX-240+E&daddr=TX-240+E+to:TX-240+E+to:TX-240+E+to:TX-240+E%2FW+3rd+St+to:TX-240+E%2FW+3rd+St+to:E+3rd+St+to:E+3rd+St%2FState+Loop+267+to:S+Oklahoma+Cut+Off+to:S+Oklahoma+Cut+Off+to:Sheppard+Rd%2FState+Loop+267+to:TX-240+E+to:Burkburnett+Rd+to:Burkburnett+Rd+to:N+Martin+Luther+King+Jr+Blvd+to:N+Martin+Luther+King+Jr+Blvd+to:Martin+Luther+King+Jr+Blvd+to:Martin+Luther+King+Jr+Blvd&hl=en&ll=33.932536,-98.690186&spn=0.530966,1.056747&sll=33.901976,-98.45678&sspn=0.00415,0.008256&geocode=FXf0BwIdgg0Z-g%3BFYwyCAIdEKka-g%3BFZgvCAIdcaYc-g%3BFQg0CAId1gIe-g%3BFSpECAId3AAf-g%3BFZ5DCAIdaY0f-g%3BFcRKCAIdnu0f-g%3BFShQCAIdtB0g-g%3BFdgxCAIdXBYg-g%3BFRUFCAIdqxwg-g%3BFeUBCAIdth8g-g%3BFcKOBwId8J8g-g%3BFY87BgIdSM8g-g%3BFQgJBgIdRuog-g%3BFb2wBQIdHAoh-g%3BFVilBQIdmhMh-g%3BFRd5BQIdJj8h-g%3BFWhKBQIdaK4h-g&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=17&sz=18&t=m&z=11. Retrieved 2011-11-24.