State of Georgia (TV series)
|State of Georgia|
|Also known as||The Great State of Georgia (working title)
|Created by||Jeff Greenstein
|Theme music composer||Evan Frankfort
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Kirk J. Rudell
Jeff Greenstein (pilot only)
|Producer(s)||Kevin C. Slattery|
|Running time||21-22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||ABC Studios
ABC Family Original Productions
Jennifer Weiner Productions
Kirk J. Rudell Productions
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Original channel||ABC Family|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||June 29 – August 17, 2011|
State of Georgia is an American television situation comedy. It stars Raven-Symoné, Majandra Delfino, and Loretta Devine. The half-hour multi-cam comedy series stars Raven-Symoné as Georgia, an aspiring actress with a larger-than-life personality, and her science geek best friend, Jo (Majandra Delfino), who are trying to make professional and personal headway in New York City. The series ran on ABC Family from June 29 to August 17, 2011. The pilot episode had with 1.32 million viewers.
On September 16, 2011, ABC Family canceled State of Georgia, due to poor ratings.
Georgia Chamberlain (Raven-Symoné) is an aspiring actress from the south who wants to become a household name, so she moves to New York City with her science geek best friend, Jo (Delfino). Georgia's Aunt Honey (Loretta Devine) is a wealthy woman with an active sex life who appears to give the girls advice.
Cast and characters
Main cast and characters
- Raven-Symoné portrays Georgia Chamberlain, a bold and confident young woman from the South, who moved to New York to pursue her dream of becoming an actress.
- Majandra Delfino portrays Josephina "Jo" Pye, Georgia's shy and timid best friend. She moved to New York with her best friend Georgia and is a graduate student in physics.
- Loretta Devine portrays Honey Dupree, Georgia's nymphomaniac aunt who owns the apartment where the girls live. With an active life, she appears from time to time on their floor to give the girls advice and listen to their problems, and share her own adventures.
Recurring cast and characters
- Kevin Covais portrays Lewis, a member of Jo's grad student physics group. He doesn't accept that Jo is the leader of the group because she is a woman. He is the typical nerd who thinks he's cool and is always trying to be the leader. He has a not-so-secret crush on Jo, claiming, "I`ve always loved you!", in one episode.
- Hasan Minhaj portrays Seth, a member of Jo's grad student physics group. He is always the target of Leo's jokes and also thinks Jo is very attractive.
- Jason Rogel portrays Leo, the overweight member of Jo's grad student physics group. He is fond of making jokes regarding Seth's intimacy.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Ted Wass||Jeff Greenstein & Jennifer Weiner||June 29, 2011||1001||1.32|
|Georgia Chamberlain and her best friend Jo -- having just moved to New York City from Atlanta -- work together at the perfume counter at an upscale department store in the city. Georgia is desperate to leave her shift early in order to audition for the lead in a revival of the musical Damn Yankees. Always one to help a friend, Jo fakes a medical emergency as their way out of their work shift. While at the casting office, Georgia sings a phenomenal rendition of "Lola," but the casting director (Trent) informs Georgia she can never pass as a seductress due to her size. After a pep talk from her eccentric Aunt Honey, Georgia appears at Trent's apartment with an irresistible basket of food -- and proves to him that she is every bit the seductress. Later, back at work, Jo has a run-in with her professor, who happens to be making a return at the store. With a push from Georgia, Jo works up the nerve to ask the professor for a second interview for the Physics graduate program.|
|2||"Flavor of the Week"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Hayes Jackson||July 6, 2011||1004||0.807|
|Georgia begins dating Brad (Justin Bruening), the owner of the yogurt hut they discovered. Jo knows that Georgia loses interest in guys faster than you could finish eating a cup of yogurt. So Jo devises a plan to crack the hidden recipe to her favorite yogurt before Georgia can dump Brad, and they would stop visiting the yogurt because that would be too awkward for Georgia. In order to discover the secret recipe, Jo is forced to recruit help from her grad student physics group. When she discovers that the "nerdy" guys thinks she's the most beautiful girl they've ever seen, Jo leverages the reward of a kiss to pressure them to figure out the secret yogurt recipe. All hoping to win, the guys go to extreme lengths, including risking their health, in hopes of getting that kiss from the girl of their dreams.|
|3||"Best Friends For-Never"||Jeff Melman||Regina Y. Hicks||July 13, 2011||1006||0.647|
|After hearing about Aunt Honey and her long-lost best friend, Patrice (Jenifer Lewis), drifting apart, she thinks that she and Jo are drifting apart because of their different agendas. Meanwhile, Georgia reconnects Aunt Honey with Patrice, but finds out that they hate each other.|
|4||"The Mole"||Steve Zuckerman||Frank Pines||July 20, 2011||1007||0.79|
|Georgia’s new man, Brian, is perfect in every way – almost too perfect. Georgia begs Jo to find Brian on Facebook, convinced the social networking site will reveal at least some of his flaws. Unable to learn anything, Georgia begins to wonder if she finally found the guy of her dreams. Meanwhile, Aunt Honey believes that Jo’s math student, Mikey, is madly in love with Jo. When Mikey schedules a tutoring session for Saturday night, Jo is convinced that Aunt Honey was right. Although the evening doesn’t go quite as planned, Jo realizes that Mikey’s computer skills might come in handy in helping her investigate Brian. Abandoning all thoughts of tutoring, Jo and Mikey team up to learn the true identity of Georgia’s mysterious man.|
|5||"Know When to Fold 'Em"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Kirk J. Rudell||July 27, 2011||1002||0.552|
|Georgia tries to leave work so she can film her first commercial. Jo becomes attracted to a coworker named Doug (Nathan Parsons) who acts like a caveman.|
|6||"Mo' Honey, Mo' Problems"||Ted Wass||Benjamin Oren & Melissa Sadoff Oren||August 3, 2011||1009||0.697|
|Georgia and Jo find one of Aunt Honey's bank statements and find it only has 42 cents in it. Suddenly Georgia and Jo notice stupid spending Aunt Honey does. Aunt Honey is throwing a party and Georgia and Jo try to raise as much money as possible. It turns out Aunt Honey just transferred her money into a bank in Barbados so she won't have to pay taxes.|
|7||"There's a Place for Us"||Leonard R. Garner, Jr.||Jennifer Weiner||August 3, 2011||1003||0.567|
|Georgia and Jo try to get into a private nightclub located in a dry cleaning establishment.|
|8||"R-E-S-P-E-C-T"||Ted Wass||Tricia Victoria Johnson||August 3, 2011||1010||0.693|
|Georgia puts on a showcase to try to catch some media attention, but Aunt Honey makes her feel like she's not good enough to put it on. Jo gets her hair straightened for the first time and gets a lot more attention.|
|9||"Foot in the Door"||Ted Wass||Greg Schaffer||August 3, 2011||1005||0.545|
|Aunt Honey helps Georgia get her first big break on a primetime television show but Georgia turns out to be an extra. While there Georgia ends up frustrating the director (Regan Burns) and the show's star (Garcelle Beauvais).|
|10||"The Popular Chicks"||Ted Wass||Annabel Oakes||August 10, 2011||1008||0.728|
|Georgia boasts to a rival about having good concert tickets to see Jason Derülo, but her bragging is based on a lie. So Georgia and Jo do all they can to get tickets.|
|11||"It's Not Easy Being Green"||Steve Zuckerman||Jennifer Weiner||August 17, 2011||1011||0.74|
|On the date, Georgia and Jo falsely inform the two farmers that they grow their own produce in their apartment and invite them to dinner. In order to keep up with their charade for a second date, Georgia and Jo plant different types of produce in the apartment as well as purchase a goat to make it seem like they make their own cheese – but can they keep it up, and are the two farmers worth all the effort?|
|12||"Locked Up, A Broad"||Steve Zuckerman||Kirk J. Rudell||August 17, 2011||1012||0.59|
|Georgia’s in trouble after defying Aunt Honey and borrowing one of her dresses to wear in an upcoming audition. As soon as Georgia puts on the dress, it gets caught in a desk chair. She enlists Jo to help, but with her clumsy ways, Jo only makes things worse. Realizing they cannot call Aunt Honey, the girls have no other choice but to call Lewis to their rescue.|
|Ep #||Discs #||Additional information|
State of Georgia: The Complete Season 1 has no release date. All episodes of State of Georgia are also available through the iTunes Store where each episode can be purchased separately or as the complete first season. The episodes "Pilot" and "Flavor of the Week" were available as a free download available on iTunes on July 7, 2011.
Development and production
The project is from ABC Studios. The pilot was written by the author Jennifer Weiner (In Her Shoes) and Jeff Greenstein (Desperate Housewives), it was announced on October 8, 2010. After starring in the ABC family original film Revenge of the Bridesmaids, Raven-Symoné went in to pitch the cable network a half-hour project with the writer Yvette Lee Bowser to star and produce a new series. The two sides were in negotiations when ABC Family managers brought up Georgia and in November 17, 2010, it was announced that she would star in Georgia. The series was originally called The Great State of Georgia. The pilot was filmed in 2010. On January 31, 2011, it was announced that ABC Family had approved the series and twelve episodes (with the pilot) had been ordered.
Awards and nominations
|2011||Nominated||Teen Choice Award||Choice Summer TV Star: Female||Raven-Symoné|
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|Netherlands||Disney Channel||Fall 2011|
|South Africa||VUZU||November 15, 2011|
|Brazil||Sony Spin Brasil||March 6, 2012|
|France||Disney Channel||September 7, 2012|
- James Hibberd (31 January 2011). "ABC Family orders three shows, including Raven-Symoné's 'Georgia'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 7, 2011). "ABC Family Expands Schedule To 3 Nights Of Original Programming". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (June 30, 2011). "Cable Ratings: 'Royal Pains' 'Necessary Roughness' Top Wednesday Cable + 'Franklin & Bash,' Not So Raven? & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 16, 2011). "UPDATE: ABC Family Renews ‘Make It Or Break It’, Gives Back Order To ‘Lying Game’, Picks Up 4 Pilots, Cancels ‘State Of Georgia’". Deadline.com.
- "The Great State of Georgia episodes". TV.com. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Loretta Devine Cast in THE GREAT STATE OF GEORGIA". Daemon's TV. February 22, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Porter, Rick (February 22, 2011). "Kiefer Sutherland locked in for 'Touch'; 'Firefly's' Alan Tudyk headed to 'Suburgatory'". Zap2it. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 7, 2011). "Updated: Cable Ratings: 'Royal Pains' 'Necessary Roughness' a One-Two Punch for USA + 'Franklin & Bash,' 'Challenge Rivals' & Much More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 14, 2011). "Update Cable Ratings: 'Royal Pains' 'Necessary Roughness'; World Cup Lead + 'Franklin & Bash,' 'ESPYs' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 21, 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Storage Wars,' 'Royal Pains' 'Necessary Roughness'; + 'Franklin & Bash,' 'Rosanne's Nuts' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 28, 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Storage Wars,' 'Royal Pains,' 'Necessary Roughness' Top Night + 'Franking & Bash,' 'Hot in Cleveland' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (July 14, 2011). "Update Cable Ratings: 'Royal Pains' 'Necessary Roughness'; World Cup Lead + 'Franklin & Bash,' 'ESPYs' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (August 11, 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'Storage Wars' Wins Again + 'Royal Pains,' 'Necessary Roughness,' 'Challenge Rivals,' 'Rescue Me,' 'Hot in Cleveland' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 11, 2011.
- Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Royal Pains" Tops Viewers List By The Futon Critic Staff, August 18, 2011
- State of Georgia, Season 1
- Free Episodes of State of Georgia on iTunes!
- ABC Family Orders More 'Melissa & Joey' & Picks Up Four More Pilots - Deadline.com
- Raven Symone To Star In ABC Family Pilot - Deadline.com
- "ABC Family Picks Up One-Hour Scripted Drama "Jane By Design"". ABC Family. April 13, 2011. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
- TV Land Picks-Up Season 2 of Happily Divorced; ABC Family's State of Georgia Gets 2 Multiple Episode Airings In August, SitcomsOnline.com, July 21, 2011
- ESTREIA DE STATE OF GEORGIA NO SONY SPIN