State of North Queensland
North Queensland is a proposed state of Australia.
In 1852, John Dunmore Lang proposed – in his book Freedom and Independence for the Golden Lands of Australia: the right of the colonies, and the interest of Britain and of the world - the division of the future colony of Queensland into three subdivisions.
A committee of businessmen in Townsville first pushed for a separate state in July 1882.
The separatist movement in North Queensland was fostered by the sugar planters, who saw the existence of the sugar industry threatened by the "abolitionist" movement in South Queensland for the suppression of Kanaka labour.
One proposal is that Queensland should be divided by the 22nd parallel with the boundary running just south of Sarina on the coast to the Northern Territory border between Boulia and Mount Isa, and the capital would be Sellheim, near Charters Towers, to overcome rivalry between Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.
According to the Courier-Mail in 2010, the majority of North Queensland Mayors were in favour of the separation from Queensland proper. Only 2 of the 100 delegates at the NQ Local Government Association meeting were against the proposal – the two being Mayor Val Schier (Cairns) and Mayor Ben Callcott (Charters Towers).
In 2013, social demographer Bernard Salt said Townsville would go from regional powerhouse to metropolitan city by 2026, and that there are less people living in the state of Tasmania than in North Queensland.
- Freedom and independence for the golden lands of Australia : the right of the colonies and the interest of the world
- "State split: north Queensland seeks independence". Brisbane Times.
- Office of Economic and Statistical Research, Queensland Government - Triumph in the Tropics, 1959, Part Three, Chapter XXX, Economic and Political Development: The First Fifty Years, p. 397
- "Push for separation as Queensland splits". News.com.au.
- "The state of North Queensland?". Menzies House.
- "New petition calls for North to become own state". Townsville Bulletin.
- "Geoffrey Blainey calls for North Queensland to be separate state". The Courier Mail.
- "Katter could be NQ premier, suggests Palmer". Townsville Bulletin.
- "Bob Katter wants Nth Queensland to be its own state". News.com.au.