Staten Island Chuck
Staten Island Chuck, also referred to more formally as Charles G. Hogg, is a groundhog who resides in the Staten Island Zoo in Staten Island, New York in the United States. He is noted as the official groundhog meteorologist of New York City who predicts the duration of winter each February 2 on Groundhog Day. He makes the prediction based on whether or not he sees his shadow at 7:30 A.M. on Groundhog Day. The ceremony at the zoo is often attended and officiated by the Mayor of New York City. Chuck's prediction for 2013 was early spring, similar to that of Punxsutawney Phil.
Chuck has had a contentious relationship with Mayor Michael Bloomberg, whom he notoriously bit in 2009. 2012 was the fifth time out of the mayor's 12 years in office that he did not attend the Groundhog Day event. No reason for his absence was provided.
The Staten Island Zoo claims that Chuck has correctly predicted the duration of winter 80% of the time since the 1980s.
|2012||early spring||In Contrast to Punxsutawney Phil's predicted six more weeks of winter.|
|2011||early spring||Punxsutawney Phil also predicted early spring(Featured on 1 episode of Cake Boss).|
|2010||early spring||Again in contrast to Punxsutawney Phil's prediction of six more weeks of winter.|
|2009||early spring||In contrast to Punxsutawney Phil's prediction of six more weeks of winter.
In this notorious prediction, Chuck bit Mayor Michael Bloomberg during the ceremony.
- Punxsutawney Phil
- Balzac Billy
- Buckeye Chuck
- General Beauregard Lee
- Wiarton Willie
- Jimmy the Groundhog
- "Staten Island Chuck Predicts An Early Spring". NY1.com. 2011-02-02.
- New York Daily News: "Groundhog Day 2013: Staten Island Chuck predicts early spring for New York City - Chuck did not see his shadow when he came out of his burrow at the Staten Island Zoo this morning" By Jonathan Lemire Saturday, February 2, 2013
- "Bloomberg's groundhog attack". Newsday. 2009-02-02.
- "NYC area's furry forecasters weighing in on winter". Newsday. 2008-02-02.
- The Staten Island Zoo where Chuck resides
- Video of Staten Island Chuck biting Mayor Michael Bloomberg
- Bite Lands Staten Island Chuck's Mug on Shirt
|This New York City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a rodent is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|