Statue of Responsibility
The Statue of Responsibility is a proposed national monument structure to be built on the West Coast of the United States. The prototype, sculpted by project artist Gary Lee Price, consists of a pair of clasped hands oriented vertically, symbolizing many things but primarily the responsibility that comes with liberty.
The Statue of Responsibility was suggested first by scholar Viktor Frankl in his book Man's Search for Meaning. He recommended "that the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast should be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast." He wrote: "Freedom, however, is not the last word. Freedom is only part of the story and half of the truth. Freedom is but the negative aspect of the whole phenomenon whose positive aspect is responsibleness. In fact, freedom is in danger of degenerating into mere arbitrariness unless it is lived in terms of responsibleness."
The project started out being managed by the Statue of Responsibility Foundation until 2013. The project had progressed slowly under the original Statue of Responsibility Foundation, but in 2010, the Utah state legislature unanimously declared their support for the project and declared Utah (sculptor Price's home state) the Birthplace of the Statue of Responsibility. In 2013 the new leadership took over the project and new funding efforts are underway by the non-profit Responsibility Foundation.
The Foundation intends to incorporate following elements of the Statue of Liberty into the Statue of Responsibility.
- Erected on an island or water front location
- Total height 305 feet above ground level (same as the Statue of Liberty)
- Internal access to observation deck on top of monument
- Located in the harbor of a major city
- The property will eventually be offered as a national park
- Statue of Responsibility
- Interview with Alex Pattakos about the statue
- Also available at Santa Fee Reporter
- Linge, K. photographer (2008) Photography of Statue of Responsibility & Gary Lee Price. Gary working on the 13 ft. clay prototype of the monument in his studio. The finished monument will be 300 ft. tall in stainless steel. Retrieved, July 8, 2009.
- Creation of Statue of Responsibility on display at UVU
- Utahns lead efforts to build West Coast companion to Statue of Liberty at deseretnews.com