Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1976
|Long title||An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility, and to make other provision in connection with the repeal of those enactments.|
|Chapter||1976 c 16|
|Introduced by||Lord Elwyn-Jones LC|
|Royal Assent||27 May 1976|
|Commencement||27 May 1976|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
It implemented recommendations contained in the seventh report on statute law revision, by the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
Section 1 - Repeals and associated amendments
Section 2 - Savings
Section 3 - Extent
The power conferred by section 3(2) was exercised by
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1976 (Colonies) Order 1979 (SI 1979/111)
- The Statute Law Repeals (Isle of Man) Order 1984 (SI 1984/1692).
The Orders in Council made under section 3(2) have lapsed because of the repeal made to that section by the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1998.
Schedule 1 - Enactments repealed
Schedule 2 - Amendments
In the entry relating to the Inebriates Act 1898, the words "and the Licensing (Scotland) Act 1959, section 160" were repealed by section 1(1) of, and Part XVII of Schedule 1 to, the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1978.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 792.
- The Public General Acts and General Synod Measures 1976. HMSO. London. 1977. Part I. Page 155.
- Peter Allsop (General editor). Current Law Statutes Annotated 1976. Sweet & Maxwell, Stevens & sons. London. W Green & son. Edinburgh. 1976. Volume 1.
- HL Deb vol 366, col 756 and 1331, vol 369, col 1290, HC Deb vol 910, cols 112 to 113.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 4 of this Act.
- HL Deb vol 366 col 756
- The Acts of Parliament (Commencement) Act 1793
- The Chronological Table of the Statutes, 1235 - 2010. The Stationery Office. 2011. ISBN 978-0-11-840509-6. Part II. Page 1347, read with pages viii and x of Part I.
- The Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission. Statute Law Revision: Seventh Report. Law Com 70. SLC 40. Cmnd 6303. HMSO. London. December 1975.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 793.
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1976, as amended from the National Archives.
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1976, as originally enacted from the National Archives.