Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1989
|Long title||An Act to promote the reform of the statute law by the repeal, in accordance with recommendations of the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission, of certain enactments which (except in so far as their effect is preserved) are no longer of practical utility, and to make other provision in connection with the repeal of those enactments.|
|Chapter||1989 c 43|
|Introduced by||Lord Mackay of Clashfern LC|
|Royal Assent||16 November 1989|
|Commencement||16 November 1989,except that the repeal by this Act of section 3 of the Federation of Malaya Independence Act 1957 and of section 5 of the Malaysia Act 1963 came into force on 1 June 1992.|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
This Act was partly in force in Great Britain at the end of 2010.
It implemented recommendations contained in the thirteenth report on statute law revision, by the Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission.
Section 3 - Short title and commencement
The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1989 (Commencement) Order 1992 (SI 1992/1275) (C 40) was made under section 3(2).
Paragraph 3 was repealed by section 73(3) of, and Part I of Schedule 6 to, the Justices of the Peace Act 1997.
Paragraph 4 was repealed by section 109(3) of, and Schedule 10 to, the Courts Act 2003.
Paragraph 7 was repealed by section 423 of, and Part V of Schedule 34 to, the Greater London Authority Act 1999.
Paragraph 13 was repealed by section 17(2) of, and Part I of Schedule 2 to, the British Technology Group Act 1991.
- Halsbury's Statutes. Fourth Edition. 2008 Reissue. Volume 41. Page 891.
- Peter Allsop (Editor emeritus). Scottish Current Law Statutes Annotated 1989. Sweet and Maxwell, Stevens & sons. London. W Green & son. Edinburgh. 1990. Volume 4.
- The Public General Acts 1989. HMSO. London. 1990. Part III. Page 2387.
- HL Deb vol 508, cols 945 and 1266 to 1268, vol 509, col 966, vol 510, col 263, HC Deb vol 159, col 1290.
- The citation of this Act by this short title is authorised by section 3(1) of this Act.
- HL Deb vol 508 col 945
- The Interpretation Act 1978, section 4(b)
- The Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1989, section 3(2); the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1989 (Commencement) Order 1992 (SI 1992/1275), article 2
- The Chronological Table of the Statutes, 1235 - 2010. The Stationery Office. 2011. ISBN 978-0-11-840509-6. Part III. Page 1948, read with pages viii and x of Part I.
- The Law Commission and the Scottish Law Commission. Statute Law Revision: Thirteenth Report. Law Com 179. SLC 117. Cm 671. HMSO. London. May 1989.
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|