||This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)
"Stay" is a song from Pink Floyd's 1972 album Obscured by Clouds. It is known for being one of the album's particularly slow-moving, lyrical songs. The song was also issued as the B-side of "Free Four".
The lyrics, written by Roger Waters and music written and sung by Richard Wright, vacillate between frustration and indifference felt towards a casual sex partner (perhaps a groupie).
The main musical theme and verse of the song stay on a pedal point of G in the bass, while the chords above it change in a typical I-IV-V progression (G, C, and D major). The D major over the G bass results in the appearance of a G major ninth chord, evoking a "melancholy" or "bittersweet" feeling. The chorus modulates to the parallel minor, with a chord change of G minor to C major, a common progression in Wright's compositions. (See "Pow R. Toc H.", the "Funky Dung" section of the "Atom Heart Mother" suite, or "The Great Gig in the Sky".) This chord change evokes a ii-V-I progression that is left unfinished.
The instrumentation is mostly Wright's piano and Waters' bass guitar, with a solo and other ornamental touches from guitarist David Gilmour making heavy use of a clean wah-wah pedal.
- ^ Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- ^ Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- ^ Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 164. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- ^ Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. pp. 164–165. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- ^ Mabbett, Andy (2004). "Obscured by Clouds". Pink Floyd — Story und Songs kompakt (in German). Berlin: Bosworth Edition. p. 47. ISBN 3-937041-92-3.
- ^ "Stay". Pink Floyd Anthology. Hal Leonard Corporation. 1 February 1986. pp. 62–65. ISBN 978-0-88188-445-6.
- ^ Manning, Toby (2006). "The Albums". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 165. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.