Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
|Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger|
|Release date(s)||November 13, 1999|
Stay Tuned for Danger was the 2nd installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. It was officially discontinued in 2011. The game had an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players took on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and solved the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. The game featured longer game play and improved graphics compared to the previous game, Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill. It was also the first game in the series to feature three-dimensional suspects. There were two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however none of these changes affected the actual plot of the game. The game was loosely based on a book of the same name Stay Tuned for Danger (1987). 
Nancy Drew is invited to New York City to stay with Mattie Jensen, a popular soap opera star. Mattie wants Nancy to investigate the death threats that her co-star, Rick Arlen, has been receiving.
Throughout the game, Nancy discovers each character has a motive for threatening Rick:
- Rick Arlen wanted to move out to Hollywood to pursue work in films, but because of his reputation with the ladies and his disloyalty with his contract, he was causing people to gossip.
- Millie Strathorn, who sometimes confuses reality and fiction, believed that everything happening on the soap opera was real. Because she hated Rick's character, she hated Rick, so she submitted storylines that killed off Rick to the show’s writers. However, the writers never included any of her stories in the show.
- Mattie Jensen used to date Rick, but Rick dumped her in order to date Lillian. Mattie then went on to date her agent Dwayne Powers.
- Lillian Weiss dated Rick for a short period of time. She felt that Rick was only using her to advance his career, so she sent some bitter threats to Rick, including poisoned chocolates and an angry love poem. However, when Rick started to receive additional threats, Lillian began to investigate.
- William Pappas was afraid that Rick leaving the show would cause low ratings and potential cancellation. He was also furious that Rick reneged on his contract.
- Dwayne Powers was jealous of Rick’s success as an actor and the fact that Mattie still cared for him.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Mattie Jensen - A soap opera star who's currently renting out Aunt Eloise's apartment. She works at Worldwide Broadcasting Studios with co-star Rick Arlen. Her agent is Dwayne Powers. She says that she and Rick used to date. Is she threatening Rick because of their break-up?
- Rick Arlen - He is Mattie Jensen's co-star on Light of Our Love. Rick is breaking his contract in order to transfer to films. He's an infamous skirt-chaser and has quite a few broken hearts in his wake. Rick has been getting numerous death threats, notes, poisoned chocolates, dead flowers, bombs, and a broken watch, but is he just trying to get more attention?
- Dwayne Powers - Dwayne is a failed actor who knew Mattie and Rick from their early days of summer stock theater. He's now a talent agent who seems knowledgeable in acting and stagecraft. Is he jealous of Rick's success and seeking revenge on the set?
- Mildred "Millie" Strathorn - Millie is an eccentric old lady that is the owner and prop room master of World Wide Broadcasting. She also has trouble distinguishing reality from fiction. She has been trying to write Rick's character out of the show for quite some time. Is she trying to write Rick out permanently?
- Lillian Weiss - The cranky director of Light of Our Love. Lillian is one of the hearts that Rick has broken, and she seems very angry about it. Is she making sure he doesn't ever cross her again?
- William "Bill" Pappas - Bill Pappas is the producer for "Light of Our Love" and Rick Arlen broke a deal with him. Could he be sending the threats for revenge?
- Owen W. Spayder - Owen is a mysterious stagehand that always seems to be onset when accidents and threats appear, yet you never are able to come face to face with him. He's recently been employed by the Dwayne Powers Agency.
- Ralph Guardino - Ralph is the security guard for WWB.
- Bess Marvin - Bess is Nancy's best friend and George's cousin. She is a good source of information on celebrities and gossip.
- George Fayne - George is Nancy's best friend and Bess's cousin. She can give helpful hints and tips about the case.
- Ned Nickerson - Ned is Nancy's boyfriend. Like Bess and George, Ned can be called for hints and to discuss the case.
- Mattie Jensen - Moriah Seebold Angeline
- Rick Arlen - Ryan Drummond
- Dwayne Powers / Ralph Guardino - Bob Heath
- Lillian Weiss - J'eral Fontaine
- Owen W. Spayder - Roger Jensen
- Ned Nickerson - Ryan Campbell
- Bess Marvin - Katie Denny
- George Fayne - Lindsey Newman
- William Pappas - Frank Martin 
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Stay Tuned for Danger include:
- Failing to defuse the bomb in Rick's room in time, defusing it incorrectly, or attempting to leave Rick's room despite the tape's warning not to do so.
- Pulling the fire alarm unnecessarily.
- Spending too much time out in the hallway at night and getting caught by Ralph.
- Being choked to death by the culprit.
Known glitches in Stay Tuned for Danger include:
- By double-clicking on Mattie's dresser (the cabinet above the sink with perfume in it), Nancy ends up in Dwayne's office!
- When at Mattie's Apartment, go to the phone and dial 555-5253 (from the previous game Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill). An error window will pop up. After you click "OK" you will be in the studio getting yelled at by Lillian.
- When you're using either Mattie's telephone at her apartment or Dwayne's at his office, you can hang up repeatedly by picking up the phone, then once you see the U-turn arrow, click fast.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Daryl Gray is mentioned in a conversation with Ned. (Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill)
- There is a mug with a Her Interactive logo by the sink in Rick's dressing room.
- According to her file in Dwayne's office, Mattie Jensen is a lizard wrangler. Always a nice talent to have.
- Look at the bottom of the script by the chair in Mattie's house. On the other side of the page that's turned over, it says "Help Me Nancy."
- In Lillian's room, the castor oil in her drawer is called "Riedl's Finest Castor Oil." Robert Riedl is on the credits of the game under "game design."
- Lillian's Anger Management book is not about anger control; it's about Nancy Drew!
- In the prop room mailbox, there is a letter that gives references to many of the original books in the Nancy Drew series such as The Spider Sapphire Mystery.
- The file in Millie's trash on the computer mentions Blackmoor Mansion!
- One of the scripts in Mattie's dressing room is written by "Roy G. Biv," a pneumonic device taught to children to help them remember the colors of the rainbow.
- There is a rolodex in Lillian's office. One of the business cards is for "Ms. Terri Gaime". This, when said aloud, sounds like "mystery game"!
- On the calendar on Mattie's desk at the house, you can see Nancy's eye if you click on it. Also, the numbers 9, 3, and 21 have dots by them that disappear. Using the alphabet code, it spells out "ICU" (I see you)
Stay Tuned for Danger was officially discontinued on November 17, 2011 due to incompatibility issues with sound cards in newer computers. Although Her Interactive released a remastered version of its first game Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill, they have not announced plans to remaster any other older games, including Stay Tuned for Danger. 
Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion