|Single by Chuck Wicks|
|from the album Starting Now|
|Released||September 10, 2007|
|Chuck Wicks singles chronology|
"Stealing Cinderella" is the title of a debut song recorded by American country music artist Chuck Wicks. It was released in September 2007 as the first single from the album Starting Now. The song was co-written by Wicks along with songwriters George Teren and Rivers Rutherford. The single produced the biggest debut for any new country artist in all of 2007, with fifty-two Billboard-monitored stations in the United States adding the song in its first official week of airplay. Overall, the song peaked at #5 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs charts.
On August 25, 2007, Wicks performed the song at his Grand Ole Opry debut. In October 2007, Wicks was invited by University of Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer to perform "Stealing Cinderella" at the wedding of Fulmer's daughter Courtney.
"Stealing Cinderella" is a ballad which, through allusions to the fairy tale of Cinderella, the narrator tells of a conversation with his girlfriend's father, asking for the father's permission to marry his daughter.
The 9513 reviewer Brady Vercher gave the song a "thumbs up" review. Although he thought that it was unusual to use Cinderella for a comparison (as Cinderella's father died in the fairy tale), and that the song's verses "gloss[ed] over" the allusions to the fairy tale, he nonetheless said that he could identify with the sentiment of the song's central character.
"Stealing Cinderella" debuted at number 53 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of September 8, 2007. Fifty-two of the country music stations on Billboard's panel added the song in its first official week of airplay, boosting it to number 42 that week.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||56|
|US Billboard Pop 100||99|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||81|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||32|
- "Chuck Wicks performs "Stealing Cinderella" at wedding of UT coach's daughter". Country Standard Time. 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- "Chuck Wicks debut single". Country Standard Time. 2007-09-17. Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- "Chuck Wicks Kicks Off Whirlwind Weekend with Grand Ole Opry Debut". RCA Records. 2007-08-21. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Chuck Wicks - "Stealing Cinderella"". The 9513. 2007-09-18. Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- "Billboard Hot Country Songs chart listing for "Stealing Cinderella"". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2007-11-11.[dead link]
- "Chuck Wicks Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Chuck Wicks.
- "Chuck Wicks Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Chuck Wicks.
- "Chuck Wicks Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Chuck Wicks.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.