|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2014)|
|Type||ApS (Anpartsselskab): private limited company|
|Key people||Ehtisham Rabbani (CEO), Tino Soelberg (CTO), Jamie Kieffer (CMO)|
|Products||Gaming peripherals and accessories: headsets, mice, keyboards, controllers, and gaming surfaces|
SteelSeries is a Danish manufacturer of gaming peripherals and accessories, including headsets, keyboards, mice, and gaming surfaces.
SteelSeries was founded in 2001 by Jacob Wolff-Petersen. The company's original name was Soft Trading, and it was changed to SteelSeries in 2007. Soft Trading made the IceMat and SteelPad mouse mats, the latter of which influenced the company's eventual name change. In 2008, SteelSeries acquired Ideazon, a North American-based developer and manufacturer of gaming peripherals.
In 2012, SteelSeries received investments from U.S.-based private equity firm, Catterton Partners, and Chinese-based private equity firm, ClearVue Partners, of undisclosed amounts.
Team and player sponsorships
SteelSeries supports a number of electronic sports individuals and teams through sponsorships and community support. Sponsored teams include Major League Gaming and Natus Vincere, among others. Past sponsorship include Manuel Schenkhuizen and Tsquared in 2011.
- How to bootstrap from zero to 50 million $: SteelSeries founder Jacob Wolff-Petersen. (Interview). Whiteboardmag.com. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- "Soft Trading ApS Changes Name To SteelSeries ApS" (Press release). SteelSeries.com. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- "Gaming Accessories Industry Just Got Better, as SteelSeries Acquires Ideazon Inc. in an Asset Transaction" (Press release). Businesswire.com. 2008-07-29. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Coldewey, Devin (2008-07-29). "Steelseries acquires Ideazon; bigger, better accessories forthcoming". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "ClearVue Partners Completes Investment in SteelSeries" (Press release). cvcap.com. 2012-09-01. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- "SteelSeries Announces Exclusive Sponsorship of Professional Gamer, Manuel Grubby Schenkhuizen" (Press release). Reuters. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Steelseries And Major League Gaming Announce Partnership And Collaboration" (Press release). Gamasutra. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "SteelSeries and Team Natus Vincere Introduce the Sensei [RAW] Na'Vi Edition" (Press release). Prweb.com. 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "SteelSeries Announces Sponsorship of Professional Halo 3 Player, Tom `Tsquared` Taylor" (Press release). Reuters. 2011-10-14. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Steelseries Prepares Players For The Launch Of Blizzard Entertainment'S Starcraft® Ii: Wings Of Libe" (Press release). bit-tech.net. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "SteelSeries and EA Introduce iOS and Android Headset for Real Racing 3" (Press release). Prweb.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "SteelSeries GUNNAR Optiks Desmo Review". VGRevolution. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "SteelSeries and Valve® Corporation Introduce the SteelSeries QcK+ DotA 2 Edition" (Press release). Sys-con.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.