Steel Ball Run
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2011)|
|Steel Ball Run|
Issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump, first featuring Steel Ball Run and its then protagonist Gyro Zeppeli
(Sutīru Bōru Ran)
|Genre||Action, Adventure, Supernatural, Racing, Western|
|Written by||Hirohiko Araki|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump, Ultra Jump|
|Original run||February 2, 2004 – April 19, 2011|
Steel Ball Run (スティール・ボール・ラン Sutīru Bōru Ran ) is a seinen manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki, the seventh part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series. Set in 1890, it stars Gyro Zeppeli, a disgraced former executioner, and Johnny Joestar, a former hot-shot jockey who was crippled and lost his fame and fortune. They, along with others, race across America for 50 million dollars, reminiscent of the 1981 film The Cannonball Run.
Originally the first 23 chapters (4 volumes) were serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump in 2004 simply under the title Steel Ball Run, even though the characters names are obviously related to the series, it was unclear if the story was part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. But when the series moved to Ultra Jump in 2004, it was officially announced as part 7 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure but in an alternate universe, like the following and current arc, JoJolion.
The chapters were later combined into 24 tankōbon volumes (volumes 81 to 104 of the entire series), following the trend set by the previous part by starting over the volume count.
Gyro Zeppeli and Johnny Joestar, a former jockey who lost the use of his legs, meet by chance and decide to enter the Steel Ball Run, a race by horse across America from San Diego to New York City. Orchestrated by the tycoon Stephen Steel, the winner of the race will receive 50 million dollars. Unknowingly to Steel or the contestants, the current President of the United States, Funny Valentine, is using the race to locate the legendary corpse parts of Jesus Christ that are hidden across the country. Once found, these body parts can merge with a person and grant special powers. After finding some body parts, Gyro and Johnny must fend off vicious rivals and secret agents sent by the President, while still trying to win the race.
In the series, body parts of Jesus Christ are spread throughout the US. When "fused" with someone they give the user Stand powers, similar to the bow and arrow introduced in Part 4 Diamond Is Unbreakable. However, Stands generated this way disappear as soon as the body parts defuse from the user. It also seems that each corpse part reacts differently with each person.
The race begins on September 25, 1890 at 10am in San Diego. Divided into nine parts, it extends for a total of 6,000 km to New York City. After each checkpoint, points are awarded to each person, the one with the most points at the end is the winner.
|Stage||Subtitle||Route||Total Distance||Days Travel||Total Participants||Retires||Deaths|
|1st.||15,000 Meter||San Diego Beach -
Santa Maria Novella Church
|2nd.||Crossing the Arizona Desert||- Monument Valley||1,200 km||12-18 Days||3770||1219||82|
|3rd.||Rocky Mountain Breakdown||- Cannon City||710 km
|4th.||The Small Gravestone on the Wide, Wide Great Plains||- Kansas City||Approx. 1,250 km||21 Days||1918||1476||1|
|5th.||Illinois Skyline||- Chicago, Michigan Lakeline||Approx. 780 km||Approx. 14 Days||441||65||2|
|6th.||Michigan Lakeline||- Maccino City - Lake Huron||Approx. 690 km||-||374||313||0|
|7th.||Philadelphia Triangle||- Philadelphia||Approx.1,300 km||Approx. 22 Days||61||9||0|
|8th.||Both Side Now||- New Jersey||Approx. 140 km||2 Days||52||7||-|
|9th.||Manhattan Rhapsody||- Trinity Church in Manhattan||Approx. 15 km||30 Minutes||45||-||-|
- Gyro Zeppeli (ジャイロ・ツェペリ Jairo Tseperi )
- Voiced by: Shinichiro Miki
- Gyro Zeppeli is Neopolitan participant in the Steel Ball Run, a disgraced assassin for the Vatican, who has participated in the Steel Ball Run to free someone who he believes has been wrongly imprisoned, racing on his horse Valkyrie (ヴァルキリー Varukirī ). Gyro is a master of a mystical art called the Rotation (回転 Kaiten ), which is channeled through Steel Balls (鉄球 Tekkyū ) and is the art of imparting the knowledge of the Golden Rectangle into throwing the Steel Ball, causing the Rotation to be transferred from the ball to the target. It has both healing and offensive properties, as the Zeppeli family has used the Rotation in both their medical practice and in their work as assassins for the church. Gyro later develops a Stand called Scan (スキャン Sukyan ) when one of his Steel Balls is imparted with a piece of the Saint's Corpse (聖人の遺体 Seijin no Itai ), the object of desire of Funny Valentine. Scan gives Gyro the ability to look inside people, making his Rotation's attacks even more deadly. With the power of the Super Rotation, accessed by having Valkyrie run at a fast enough speed to make everything incorporate the Golden Rectangle, he develops the Stand Ball Breaker (ボール・ブレイカー Bōru Bureikā ), which when a Steel Ball hits its mark the vast energies kept by the Rotation accelerates the life of cells in the target, so much so that the cells die.
- Gyro's real name is Julius Caesar Zeppeli (ユリウス・カエサル・ツェペリ Yuriusu Kaesaru Tseperi , pronounced in English as Juriasu Shīzā Tseperi (ジュリアス・シーザー・ツェペリ?)), sharing his name with Caesar Zeppeli of Battle Tendency.
- Johnny Joestar (ジョニィ・ジョースター Jonyi Jōsutā )
- Voiced by: Yuki Kaji
- Johnny Joestar was a horse racing prodigy until an accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. He participates in the Steel Ball Run in order to follow Gyro and to learn how to use the Rotation, as it is the only thing that has made him able to stand again. Johnny races on Slow Dancer (スロー・ダンサー Surō Dansā ) and he eventually develops the Stand Tusk (タスク Tasuku ), at first allowing him to shoot his fingernails at people, but it soon evolves through a series of Acts. With Act 2 he imparts his fingernails with the Rotation, allowing him to move the holes his fingernails produce. Act 3 allows Johnny to teleport parts of himself through holes after he shoots himself with an Act 2 fingernail. The final form of Act 4 allows Johnny to impart the Rotation onto other people after he has mastered the Rotation himself.
- Johnny's full name is Jonathan Joestar, the same as the protagonist of Phantom Blood and the original titular JoJo. Also like the original, he has a pet named Danny, although it is a rat.
- Lucy Steel (ルーシー・スティール Rūshī Sutīru )
- Voiced by: Houko Kuwashima
- Lucy Steel is the 14-year-old wife of Steel Ball Run promoter Stephen Steel. She tries to help Johnny and Gyro win the race by going undercover as the wife of President Valentine. However, her cover is blown one night and she accidentally acquires all of the President's Corpse parts into her, becoming pregnant by their means. This ultimately bestows upon her a powerful Stand called Ticket to Ride (涙の乗車券（チケット・ゥ・ライド） Chikettu Raido ) that Valentine uses against the others. It granted her the ability to draw powerful blades from her eyes, part water as Moses did to the Red Sea, and protect her from any harm by causing a chain reaction to deflect harm from her. Its ultimate power was when it was combined with the powers of D4C to form D4C Love Train. Her maiden name is Pendleton (ペンドルトン Pendoruton ), shared with the character Erina Joestar (née Pendleton) of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.
- Funny Valentine (ファニー・ヴァレンタイン Fanī Varentain )
- Voiced by: Yasuyuki Kase
- Funny Valentine is the 23rd President of the United States (replacing Benjamin Harrison in the fiction of Steel Ball Run), a disgraced soldier who was discharged from duty after having been tortured. He ultimately finds the heart of the Saint and seeks to obtain all the parts, as a prophecy is foretold that the holder of all of the parts of the Saint will rule the world. In obtaining the heart, he gains the Stand Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (Dirty deeds done dirt cheap（いともたやすく行われるえげつない行為） Dātī Dīzu Dan Dāto Chīpu (Itomo Tayasuku Okonawareru Egetsunai Kōi) ), often shortened to just D4C (D4C（ディー･フォー･シー） Dī Fō Shī ), which allows him to travel between alternate dimensions by passing between two objects, and also allowing him to transfer his consciousness with an alternate version of himself to keep himself from dying from his wounds. He can also bring other people from these alternate realities into his own, and if they come in contact with that universe's iteration of themself, they will annihilate each other in the form of Menger sponges. With Lucy's powers, he acquires the ability D4C -Love Train- (D4C-ラブトレイン- Dī Fō Shī -Rabu Torein- ), which makes a gap in space with Lucy's body to make President Valentine seemingly invincible from harm, as well as making any attack he makes ultimately more dangerous.
- Diego Brando (ディエゴ・ブランドー Diego Burandō )
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- Diego Brando, nicknamed Dio (ディオ), is a British racer in the Steel Ball Run, riding the horse Silver Bullet (シルバーバレット Shirubā Baretto ). He is initially just a rival to Gyro and Johnny, but he soon grows to hate them enough that he joins forces with the President. After being subject to the Stand of Dr. Ferdinand, Diego acquires the Saint's eye and obtains the Stand Scary Monster (恐竜（スケアリー・モンスター） Sukearī Monsutā ), allowing him to transform into a dinosaur at will, as well as transform other living beings into dinosaurs or fossilize them. After he turns on the President and dies, Valentine uses D4C to bring another Diego Brando into this iteration of reality, and this one has the Stand The World (THE WORLD（ザ・ワールド） Za Wārudo ), the same as his namesake Dio Brando.
- Sandman (砂男（サンドマン） Sandoman , alternatively "Soundman" (サウンドマン Saundoman ))
- Sandman (although he goes by the name "Soundman" amongst his people) is a Native American participant in the Steel Ball Run who has no horse and runs barefoot throughout the race as he has found a way to do so without needing any rest. He learned to speak English by reading books, but his people burned down his tepee when they discovered he was reading things written by the white men. He develops the Stand In a Silent Way (イン・ア・サイレント・ウェイ In A Sairento Wei ), which can produce sounds that become three-dimensional kana that are stored in objects. When the object comes in contact with someone, the kana come out of the object and attack based on the sound that produced them.
- Mountain Tim (マウンテン・ティム Maunten Timu )
- Mountain Tim is a cowboy from Wyoming who participates in the Steel Ball Run on his horse Ghost Rider in the Sky (ゴースト・ライダー・イン・ザ・スカイ Gōsuto Raidā In Za Sukai ). In his youth, he accidentally came across a piece of land known as the Devil's Palm (悪魔の手のひら Akuma no Tenohira ), a piece of the United States that seems to move on its own accord, having been created after a terrible tragedy befell the Saint. As a result, he obtained his Stand Oh! Lonesome Me (オー！ロンサム・ミー Ō! Ronsamu Mī ), which enchanted his lasso into enabling him to move parts of his or other people's bodies along its length. He is brought into the race to investigate a series of murders purpetrated by the Boomboom family.
- Urmd Abdul (ウルムド・アブドゥル Urumudo Abuduru )
- Urmd Abdul is an Egyptian racer of the Steel Ball Run who rides his unnamed camel rather than a horse. He loses fairly early in the race.
- He is named after Stardust Crusaders character Mohammed Avdol.
- Dot Han (ドット・ハーン Dotto Hān )
- Dot Han is a Mongol participant in the Steel Ball Run, a child of Genghis Han, riding his horse #1. He loses fairly early in the race and is not seen in later chapters.
- Pocoloco (ポコロコ Pokoroko )
- Voiced by: Yasuhiko Kawazu
- An American racer from Georgia who rides the horse Hey! Ya! (ヘイ！ヤア！ Hei! Yaa! ). Before joining the Steel Ball Run, he met a mysterious gypsy who told him that his luck will turn around for the next two months, leading his decision to participate in the race. This coincides with the development of his Stand Hey Ya! (ヘイ・ヤー Hei Yā ), which guides Pocoloco to make lucky choices. Over a hundred years later during the events of JoJolion, it is revealed that Pocoloco was named the winner of the Steel Ball Run in place of the events that befell the other racers.
- Baron Roocatugo (ロッカチュゴ男爵 Rokkachugo Danshaku )
- A German participant in the Steel Ball Run who drives a car rather than rides a horse. He is eliminated early on.
- Mrs. Robinson (ミセス・ロビンスン Misesu Robinsun )
- A Mexican participant in the Steel Ball Run who rides the horse El Condor Pasa (エル・コンドル・パサ Eru Kondoru Pasa ). He is quick to attack Gyro to eliminate him from the run, using a cactus as well as a hive of insects kept in his eye. Gyro easily dispatches him.
- The Boomboom Family (ブンブーン一家 Bunbūn Ikka )
- The Boombooms are a family of assassins hired to kill Gyro and Johnny to prevent them from winning the Steel Ball Run. Like Mountain Tim, each passed through the Devil's Palm and each has a unique aspect of a shared Stand called Tomb of the Boom (トゥーム・オブ・ザ・ブーム Tūmu Obu Za Būmu ). Mountain Tim is hired to catch them.
- Benjamin Boomboom (ベンジャミン・ブンブーン Benjamin Bunbūn )
- Benjamin is the patriarch of the Boombooms and rides the horse Crosstown Traffic (クロスタウン・トラフィック Kurosutaun Torafikku ). His Stand Tomb of the Boom 1 (トゥーム・オブ・ザ・ブーム ワン Tūmu Obu Za Būmu Wan ) allows him to fuse metal to his body and transform his appearance into that of another person.
- Andre Boomboom (アンドレ・ブンブーン Andore Bunbūn )
- Andre is the elder brother of the Boomboom family and rides the horse Foxy Lady (フォクシーレディ Fokushī Redi ). His Stand Tomb of the Boom 2 (トゥーム・オブ・ザ・ブーム ツー Tūmu Obu Za Būmu Tsū ) allows him to magnetize people through his touch, even if the target is only hit by a drop of his blood.
- L.A. Boomboom (L.A.ブンブーン Eru Ē Bunbūn )
- L.A. is the younger brother of the Boomboom family and rides the horse Little Wing (リトル・ウイング Ritoru Uingu ). His Stand Tomb of the Boom 3 (トゥーム・オブ・ザ・ブーム スリー Tūmu Obu Za Būmu Surī ) allows him to manipulate iron sand by attracting it to his body, and even giving him the ability to attract the iron in others' blood.
- Oyecomova (オエコモバ Oekomoba )
- Oyecomova is a Neapolitan racer in the Steel Ball Run, a terrorist from Naples who is a master at explosives. He plans to kill Gyro, as he is the only person alive who can stop him from killing the King of Italy. He also finds the Devil's Palm, granting him a Stand called Boku no Rhythm wo Kiitekure (ボクのリズムを聴いてくれ Boku no Rizumu o Kiitekure , the Japanese title of "Oye Como Va") that takes the form of a toucan that turns any object it touches into a bomb.
- Fritz von Stroheim (フリッツ・フォン・シュトロハイム Furittsu Fon Shutorohaimu )
- Stroheim is a German terrorist sent to assassinate Gyro, participating in the Steel Ball Run by riding the horse Europe Express (ヨーロッパ・エクスプレス Yōroppa Ekusupuresu ). He has been converted into a cyborg, much like his namesake Rudol von Stroheim from Battle Tendency.
- Hot Pants (ホット・パンツ Hotto Pantsu )
- Hot Pants is an American participant in the Steel Ball Run, riding the horse Gets Up (ゲッツ・アップ Gettsu Appu ). She participates dressed as a man, having actually spent the past several years as a nun, and seeks to obtain the Corpse parts. Her Stand Cream Starter (クリーム・スターター Kurīmu Sutātā ) takes the form of a "meat spray" that can turn other people's flesh into a foamy substance, both as a defensive measure to prevent them from properly attacking as well as healing wounds by fusing the foamy flesh together.
- Gaucho (ガウチョ)
- Gaucho is a Spanish racer in the Steel Ball Run, riding Peg (ペグ Pegu ). He dies while trapped by Ringo Roadagain.
- Norisuke Higashikata (ノリスケ・ヒガシカタ)
- Norisuke Higashikata is a Japanese racer in the Steel Ball Run, riding his horse Honō (ホノオ, lit. "Flame). He shows that he possesses two navels. Higashikata ultimately finishes the race in second place, and his winnings allow him to start a fruit import company in his hometown of Morioh. His descendents run the company, and by the time of JoJolion, the fourth man to have the name "Norisuke Higashikata" (東方 憲助 Higashikata Norisuke ) is in charge.
Other racers and their horses are as follows:
- Mister. (ミスター・ Misutā ) and unknown horse
- Tarukus (タルカス Tarukasu ) and unknown horse
- Rotters Club (ロッターズ・クラブ Rottāzu Kurabu ) and unknown horse
- Billy White (ビリー・ホワイト Birī Howaito ) and Love Unlimited (ラヴ・アンリミテッド Ravu Anrimiteddo )
- Shigechi (シゲチー Shigechī ) and unknown horse
- Mack the Knife (マック・ザ・ナイフ Makku Za Naifu ) and unknown horse
- Kanye (カニエ Kanie ) and unknown horse
- Iglesias (イグレシアス Igureshiasu ) and Nathalie (ナタリー Natarī )
- Nightfly (ナイトフライ Naitofurai ) and unknown horse
- Dixie Chicken (デキシー・チキン Dikishī Chikin ) and Ramblin' Man (ランブリン・マン Ranburin Man )
- Caravan Serai (キャラバン・サライ Kyaraban Sarai ) and Moon Flower (ムーン・フラワー Mūn Furawā )
- Zenyatta Mondatta (ゼニヤッタ・モンダッタ Zeniyatta Mondatta ) and Roxanne (ロクサーヌ Rokusānu )
- Nellyville (ネリビル Neribiru ) and Country Grammar (カントリーグラマー Kantorī Guramā )
- Georgy Porgy (ジョージー・ポージー Jōjī Pōjī ) and unknown horse
- Sloop John B (スループ・ジョン・B Surūpu Jon Bī ) and Catch a Wave (キャッチ・ア・ウェイヴ Kyatchi A Weivu )
- Pork Pie Hat Kid (ポーク・パイ・ハット小僧 Pōku Pai Hatto Kozō )
- Pork Pie Hat Kid is sent by President Valentine to kill Gyro and retrieve the Corpse parts. His Stand Wired (ワイアード Waiādo ) takes the form of a winch on his tongue and the hooks from the winch can travel through any object, so long as Pork Pie Hat has put a similar object in a pan of water that his hooks have gone through.
- Dr. Ferdinand (フェルディナンド博士 Ferudinando-hakase )
- Dr. Ferdinand is a geologist and paleontologist who has been studying the Devil's Palm since it granted him his Stand Scary Monsters (スケアリーモンスターズ Sukearī Monsutāzu ), enabling him to infect people with a virus that transforms them into dinosaurs under his thrall. He is devoted to President Valentine, wanting him to succeed in his plan to rule the world with the parts of the Saint.
- Ringo Roadagain (リンゴォ・ロードアゲイン Ringō Rōdoagein )
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
- Ringo Roadagain is a gunman who lives on an orchard in the Steel Ball Run's path. Anyone who enters the orchard enters the thrall of his Stand Mandom (マンダム Mandamu ), which allows him to turn back time exactly 6 seconds. He is hired by the President to take Johnny and Gyro's Saint Corpse parts.
- Blackmore (ブラックモア Burakkmoa )
- Blackmore is another of the President's assassins who is sent to take the Corpse parts from Gyro and Johnny. His Stand Catch the Rainbow (キャッチ・ザ・レインボー Kyatchi Za Reinbō ) allows Blackmore to manipulate the flow of rain, stopping it and moving through it invisibly. Blackmore is initially successful in his attempt to take the Corpse parts and Lucy Steel back to the President, but he is distracted by a vision of the Saint himself (implied to be Jesus Christ) and Lucy helps Gyro and Johnny to kill him.
- Eleven Men (11人の男たち Jūichi-nin no Otoko-tachi )
- The eleven men are the next assassins sent by the President to face Gyro and Johnny, all experienced gunmen who use their shared stand Tatoo You! (TATOO YOU!（タトゥーユー！） Tatū Yū! ), a tattoo on each of their backs that they can travel through, to face off against the men in a bar. All seem to have writing in their hair. All die, except for the last who acquires the last of Johnny and Gyro's Corpse parts while they are under the thrall of the mysterious Stand-using tree.
- Mike O (マイク・O Maiku Ō )
- Mike O is one of President Valentine's bodyguards and assassins, sent to find the intruder and traitor amongst the President's assassins. His Stand Tubular Bells (チューブラー・ベルズ Chūburā Beruzu ) allows him to turn metal objects into balloon animals that have the same properties as the animal they depict. Once they reach their target, they enter the target in their original form, such as an iron nail or a metal window blind.
- Wekapipo (ウェカピポ)
- Voiced by: Ken Narita
- Wekapipo is a former Neapolitan assassin who is hired alongside Magent Magent to protect President Valentine and to kill Gyro and Johnny. Rather than possessing a Stand, Wekapipo uses a form of Steel Ball called Wrecking Ball (レッキング・ボール（壊れゆく鉄球） Rekkingu Bōru (Kowareyuku Tekkyū) ) that releases a series of satellite balls that can blind the target. He soon sides with Gyro and Johnny after discovering that his sister, claimed by the President to have died, is alive and well.
- Magent Magent (マジェント・マジェント Majento Majento )
- Magent Magent is sent alongside Wekapipo to kill Gyro and Johnny. His Stand 20th Century Boy (20th Century BOY（トウェンティース・センチュリー・ボーイ） Towentīsu Senchurī Bōi ), a vest-like apparatus, makes him impervious to damage and even death so long as he is crouching down with his palms touching the ground. This is his undoing when he eventually is thrown into a river, using 20th Century Boy's power to keep him alive so long as he does not move. He hopes for rescue at the hands of Diego Brando, but he eventually stops waiting and stops thinking, much like Kars's ultimate fate in Battle Tendency.
- Axl RO (アクセル・RO Akuseru Rō )
- Axl RO is one of Valentine's bodyguards and a former soldier who let an entire town and his fellow infantrymen get massacred because of his disillusion with the war. The guilt he felt after this event manifests as his Stand Civil War (シビル・ウォー Shibiru Wō ), which can attack people through the guilt of things they have left behind through a membrane that suffocates them, but the membrane can be dissolved with water. Civil War also can resurrect Axl RO should he be killed and someone feel guilty for doing so. Then Axl RO's guilt is transferred to the assailant, compounding his powers. However, should Axl RO feel guilty for killing his target, Civil War's powers reverse onto him.
- D-I-S-C-O (ディ・ス・コ Di Su Ko )
- D-I-S-C-O is another one of Valentine's assassins sent to kill Johnny and Gyro to retrieve the last of the Corpse parts. He does nothing other than activate his Stand, Chocolate Disco (チョコレート・ディスコ Chokorēto Disuko ), and attack Gyro. Chocolate Disco takes the form of a grid-like arm band through which D-I-S-C-O can manipulate the position of objects by switching their positions on the grid.
- Stephen Steel (スティーブン・スティール Sutībun Sutīru )
- Voiced by: Mitsuru Ogata
- Stephen Steel is the promoter of the Steel Ball Run and the elderly husband of Lucy Steel. Their marriage is one of love rather than passion.
- Gregorio Zeppeli (グレゴリオ・ツェペリ Guregorio Tseperi )
- Gregorio is Gyro's father, and the teacher of the Steel Ball and Rotation techniques.
- Marco (マルコ Maruko )
- Marco is a young Neapolitan boy who is arrested and sentenced to death for a crime he could not have possibly committed. Gyro, upon learning of this travesty, argued for the boy's freedom, and was ordered by the King of Italy to participate in the race for the boy's freedom. He shares his name with Mark, a friend of Caesar Zepelli who dies at the hands of the Pillar Men, spurring Caesar to fight against them.
- Nicholas Joestar (ニコラス・ジョースター Nikorasu Jōsutā )
- Nicholas is Johnny's older brother and a skilled jockey who died in a freak accident when Johnny was only five. Johnny tried to follow in his footsteps, but their father favored Nicholas more.
- Sugar Mountain (シュガー・マウンテン Shugā Maunten )
- Sugar Mountain is a young girl who has become trapped by a Stand-using tree's power, becoming its guardian. The tree's Stand takes the form of a spring at its base and has powers akin to Aesop's fable "The Honest Woodman". If someone drops something into the spring, it comes out as a much better form than when it entered. The tree then offers it back to its original owner via Sugar Mountain but the owner must acknowledge the original state of the item. If they lie, the tree kills them. If they tell the truth, they are given the object back but must use the item up or relinquish ownership through a transaction, or else they will replace Sugar Mountain as the tree's guardian.
- Scarlet Valentine (スカーレット・ヴァレンタイン Sukāretto Varentain )
- Scarlet Valentine is the First Lady of the United States, wife to President Funny Valentine. She is bisexual and slightly masochistic, and comes onto Lucy Steel. However, this is all a plan by Hot Pants and Lucy to kill Scarlet so Lucy can take her place and steal the President's Corpse parts. Her death causes Mike O to go mad.
|No.||Title||Japanese release||English release|
|1 (81)||September 25, 1890: San Diego Beach
Issen Happyaku Kyūjū Nen Kugatsu Nijūgonichi San Diego Bīchi (1890年9月25日 サンディエゴビーチ)
|May 20, 2004||ISBN 4-08-873601-X|
|2 (82)||1st Stage: 15,000 Meters
Fāsuto Sutēji 15,000 Mētoru (1st. STAGE 15,000メートル)
|May 20, 2004||ISBN 4-08-873613-3|
|3 (83)||2nd Stage: Arizona Desert Crossing
Sekondo Sutēji Arizona Sabaku Goe (2nd. STAGE アリゾナ砂漠越え)
|November 4, 2004||ISBN 4-08-873673-7|
|4 (84)||Gyro Zeppeli's Mission
Jairo Tseperi no Shukumei (ジャイロ・ツェペリの宿命)
|November 4, 2004||ISBN 4-08-873689-3|
|5 (85)||The President's Conspiracy
Daitōryō no Inbō (大統領の陰謀)
|August 4, 2005||ISBN 4-08-873845-4|
|6 (86)||Scary Monsters
Sukearī Monsutāzu (スケアリー モンスターズ)
|November 4, 2005||ISBN 4-08-873890-X|
|7 (87)||A Little Grave on the Wide, Wide Prairie
Hiroi Hiroi Daisōgen no Chiisana Bohyō (広い広い大草原の小さな墓標)
|March 3, 2006||ISBN 4-08-874117-X|
|8 (88)||To a Man's World
Otoko no Sekai e (男の世界へ)
|May 2, 2006||ISBN 4-08-874119-6|
|9 (89)||A Stormy Night Is Coming
Arashi no Yoru ga Yatte Kuru (嵐の夜がやってくる)
|September 4, 2006||ISBN 4-08-874147-1|
|10 (90)||Illinois Skyline, Michigan Lakeline
Irinoi Sukairain Mishigan Reikurain (イリノイ・スカイライン ミシガン・レイクライン)
|November 2, 2006||ISBN 4-08-874285-0|
|11 (91)||Make the Golden Rectangle!
Ōgon Chōhōkei o Tsukure! (黄金長方形をつくれ!)
|March 2, 2007||ISBN 978-4-08-874336-3|
|12 (92)||Conditions for the Body, Conditions for Friendship
Itai e no Jōken Yūjō e no Jōken (遺体への条件 友情への条件)
|May 2, 2007||ISBN 978-4-08-874362-2|
|13 (93)||Wrecking Ball
Koware Yuku Tekkyū (壊れゆく鉄球)
|September 4, 2007||ISBN 978-4-08-874420-9|
|14 (94)||The Victor's Rights
Shōrisha e no Shikaku (勝利者への資格)
|December 4, 2007||ISBN 978-4-08-874438-4|
|15 (95)||A Dream of Gettysburg
Getisubāgu no Yume (ゲティスバーグの夢)
|May 2, 2008||ISBN 978-4-08-874518-3|
|16 (96)||Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Itomo Tayasuku Okonawareru Egutsunai Kōi (いともたやすく行われる えげつない行為)
|September 4, 2008||ISBN 978-4-08-874574-9|
Dī Fō Shī (D4C)
|March 4, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-874648-7|
|18 (98)||Ticket to Ride
Chiketto Tu Raido (涙の乗車券（チケット・トゥ・ライド）)
|July 3, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-874725-5|
|19 (99)||Don't Get Used to Having Money
Okane Mochi ni wa Narenai (お金持ちにはなれない)
|November 4, 2009||ISBN 978-4-08-874769-9|
|20 (100)||Love Train - The World Is One
Rabu Torein - Sekai wa Hitotsu (ラブトレイン-世界はひとつ)
|March 9, 2010||ISBN 978-4-08-870060-1|
|21 (101)||Ball Breaker
Bōru Bureikā (ボール・ブレイカー)
|July 2, 2010||ISBN 978-4-08-870099-1|
|22 (102)||Break My Heart, Break Your Heart
Bureiku Mai Hāto Bureiku Yua Hāto (ブレイク・マイ・ハート ブレイク・ユア・ハート)
|November 4, 2010||ISBN 978-4-08-870160-8|
|23 (103)||High Voltage
Hai Vorutēji (ハイ・ヴォルテージ)
|May 19, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870206-3|
|24 (104)||The Stars and Stripes Forever
Seijōki yo Eien Nare (星条旗よ 永遠なれ)
|June 3, 2011||ISBN 978-4-08-870253-7|
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 01". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 03". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 05". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 07". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 11". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 15". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 16". Shueisha. Retrieved June 7, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 02". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 04". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 06". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 08". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 09". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 10". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 12". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 13". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 14". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 17". Shueisha. Retrieved May 25, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 18". Shueisha. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 19". Shueisha. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 20". Shueisha. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 21". Shueisha. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 22". Shueisha. Retrieved June 6, 2011.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 23". Shueisha. Retrieved June 6, 2011.
- "Steel Ball Run Volume 24". Shueisha. Retrieved June 6, 2011.