Steele Barracks (Moorebank)
Steele Barracks is an Australian Army base in the Sydney suburb of Moorebank in New South Wales, near Liverpool. It is the home of the Royal Australian Engineers School of Military Engineering (SME), which was established there in 1940, as well as the RAE Museum, and the RAE Golf Club. It is also the location of the Regional Headquarters for the NSW Brigade of the Australian Army Cadets.
The base is located on Moorebank Avenue and its main access road is the M5 South Western Motorway. It is situated adjacent to Holsworthy Barracks in the Liverpool Military Area. In the Federal government's 2010–11 Budget it was announced that $35.2 million would be spent over two years to move SME to Holsworthy. The move is scheduled to take place in 2014, after which the site will be turned into an "intermodal container freight terminal".
- Staff (7 June 2012). "Engineer school to move". Army News: The Soldiers' Newspaper (1283 ed.). p. 5.
- "Army Engineer Museum". New South Wales Government. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "Royal Australian Engineers Golf Club". RAE Golf Club. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "Budget Review 2010–11: Defence - Major Capital Facilities Projects". Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- Bennet, Darryl (2002). "Steele, Sir Clive Selwyn (1892–1955)". Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 16. Melbourne University Press. pp. 296–297.
|This article about the military of Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|