Steep Canyon Rangers
|Steep Canyon Rangers|
Steep Canyon Rangers 2013, photography by David McClister
|Origin||Brevard, North Carolina|
Charles R. Humphrey III
|Past members||Lizzie Hamilton|
The International Bluegrass Music Association awarded Martin and Steep Canyon Rangers Entertainer of the Year in 2011.
It was announced on June 13, 2011 that the Steep Canyon Rangers signed with Rounder Records, with SCR’s lead singer Woody Platt saying the Rangers “are honored to join Rounder Records and be a part of such a rich musical history."
Read full Tell The Ones I Love bio online at SteepCanyon.com.
The Steep Canyon Rangers feature:
- Woody Platt — guitar, lead vocals
- Graham Sharp — banjo, lead/harmony vocals
- Mike Guggino — mandolin, harmony vocals
- Charles R. Humphrey III — bass
- Nicky Sanders — fiddle
- Mike Ashworth — cajon drums
With Steve Martin
Steve Martin played banjo along with the Steep Canyon Rangers on the June 27, 2009 broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion, and continued playing with the band on selected dates as part of U.S. tours with the Rangers in the fall of 2009, and spring of 2010. Martin played with the band at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco, Carnegie Hall in New York, and Benaroya Hall in Seattle. Martin also travelled with the band to the UK, to perform on the critically acclaimed music show, Later with Jools Holland. Martin appeared with the Steep Canyon Rangers at the 2010 Bonnaroo Music Festival, on Austin City Limits on November 6, 2010, and at the July 4, 2011 A Capitol Fourth celebration on the West Lawn of the US Capitol Building. The group and Martin together recorded the 2011 album, Rare Bird Alert, on which Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks also appear.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart
|Old Dreams and New Dreams||
|Mr. Taylor's New Home||
|The Steep Canyon Rangers||
|One Dime at a Time||
|Lovin' Pretty Women||
|Deep in the Shade||
|Rare Bird Alert
(with Steve Martin)
|Nobody Knows You||
|Tell The Ones I Love||
|Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon
Rangers featuring Edie Brickell LIVE
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
|2011||"Jubilation Day" (with Steve Martin)||Ryan Reichenfeld|
|2013||"Tell the Ones I Love"||Bill Filipiak|
Awards and nominations
|2014||International Bluegrass Music Association||Instrumental Performance of the Year||Graveyard Fields
(Songwriter: Mike Guggino)
|2012||Grammy Award||Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album||Nobody Knows You||Won|
|2012||International Bluegrass Music Association||Best Graphic Design||Nobody Knows You||Won|
|2011||International Bluegrass Music Association||Entertainers of the Year, with Steve Martin||N/A||Won|
|2011||Grammy Award||Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album||Rare Bird Alert||Nominated|
|2010||International Bluegrass Music Association||Instrumental Performance of the Year||Mourning Dove
(Songwriter: Nicky Sanders)
|2008||International Bluegrass Music Association||Album of the Year||Lovin' Pretty Women||Nominated|
|2008||International Bluegrass Music Association||Gospel Performance of the Year||Be Still Moses
(Songwriter: Graham Sharp)
|2006||International Bluegrass Music Association||Emerging Artist of the Year||N/A||Won|
"Steve Canyon Rangers"
The phonemic similarity of "Steep" to "Steve" and the association of Steve Martin with the band (and perhaps the three-decades-defunct 20th-century commando-style comic strip Steve Canyon) sometimes support impressions of a "Steve Canyon Rangers" band.
- "Steep Canyon Rangers benefit concert". The Telegraph. 2009-02-01. Retrieved May 10, 2009.
- Staton, John (2009-03-10). "The Music Column: Steep Canyon Rangers play venues from bars to churches". The Star-News. Retrieved May 10, 2009.
- Resch, Jamie (2009-03-12). "Longtime heroes stay fresh by touring and remaining true to traditional bluegrass". The Post and Courier. Retrieved May 10, 2009.
- "The Steep Canyon Rangers Sign to Rounder Records". Rounder Records. 2011-06-13. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- Madison, Tjames. Livedaily.com, August 4, 2009. "Steve Martin and his banjo map fall tour." Retrieved on October 4, 2009,
- "Steve Martin wins top trophy at Bluegrass awards". BBC News. 29 Sep 2011.
- DelFest website retrieved 6-6-2012
- "Future Releases on Triple A (AAA) Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 2014-03-06.
- "CMT : Videos : Steve Martin : Jubilation Day". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "CMT : Videos : Steep Canyon Rangers : Tell the Ones I Love". Country Music Television. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- Susan Dosier, "Steve Canyon Rangers(they play with Steve Martin) playing at VisitNC media event! Wow", [Twitter post]
- "Steve Martin & Steve Canyon Rangers Band Signed 11x14 Live Concert Music Photo" e-Bay offer
- "Steve Martin and the Steve Canyon Rangers", Waterblogged, Friday, March 18, 2011
- "Steve Martin Finds His Muse In 'An Object Of Beauty'", Talk of the Nation (The presumably scripted introduction has "Steep", while the transcript of the interview attributes "Steve" to Martin.)