||The verifiability of all or part of this article is disputed. (December 2014)|
||This biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2014)|
25 November 1956 |
|Alma mater||Polytechnic University of Milan Iuav University of Venice|
|Practice||Studio Boeri Architetti|
Stefano Boeri is an Italian Architect and Urban Planner, born in Milan in 1956, founding partner of Stefano Boeri Architetti. He earned a Master's degree in Architecture from Polytechnic University of Milan and a PhD in Architecture in 1989 from Iuav University of Venice.
He is the professor of urban planning at Polytechnic University of Milan. He has been visiting professor in many international Universities as GSD Harvard Graduate School of Design, Berlage Institute, Columbia University. Since 2007 he is the director of Festarch, the International Architecture Festival by Abitare. He is the founder of Multiplicity, a research group devoted to the study of territorial transformations. In November 2013, for Polytechnic University of Milan 150 year anniversary, he has been in charge to create and curate MI/arch - Milan World Capital of Architecture, 8 lessons about the city by the most prestigious architects as David Chipperfield, Grafton Architects, Arata Isozaki, Rem Koolhaas, Daniel Libeskind, César Pelli, Renzo Piano and Kazuyo Sejima. He recently curated “São Paulo Calling” a project about informal settlements, promoted by São Paulo Segretaria de Habitaçao. Boeri has been appointed to the 2015 Milan Expo urban consultancy in charge of developing the guidelines for the urban transformations to be implemented within the frame of the event.
Stefano Boeri founded in 1999 Boeri Studio with Gianandrea Barreca and Giovanni La Varra, that turned in 2009 in Stefano Boeri Architetti, in partnership with Michele Brunello. SBA is currently based in Milan and Doha, Qatar, researching and practicing contemporary architecture and urbanism, with a focus on biodiversity and sustainable architecture. Stefano Boeri Architetti is currently working on Vertical Forest, two sustainable residential towers based on urban biodiversity in Milan, that will be completed in 2014; New General Hospital, a large scale renovation of one of most prominent medical centres in Milan; CERBA, the master plan of the European Centre for Advanced Medical Research. Stefano Boeri Architetti is also curating Skolkovo innovation center in Moscow, together with Jean Pistre, Speech, David Chipperfield, Mohsen Mostafavi, Kazuyo Sejima, OMA, Herzog & de Meuron and it is developing the detailed masterplan of D4 district with the Moscow-based studio Project Meganom. Stefano Boeri has developed various plans for the reconversion of European waterfronts (Genoa, Naples, Trieste, Cagliari, Salonika, Mytilene) and historical industrial plants redevelopment as the project for Villa Méditerranée, opened in 2013 for Marseilles European Capital of Culture. Stefano Boeri Architetti has recently completed CASA ITALO, designing all lounges and customer areas for the high speed train company NTV, the renovation of old Arsenal at La Maddalena, Sardinia, an intervention that reclaimed a 155.000 sqm abandoned and contaminated area to a new nautical, touristic and convention centre; RCS Corriere della Sera Headquarter (building A2). Stefano Boeri Architetti has developed the guidelines of Milan Expo 2015 concept-masterplan, together with Richard Burdett, Jacques Herzog and William MacDonough. Stefano Boeri Architetti is also promoting cultural events and its projects have been shown in international expositions as Venice Biennale, Beijing Design Week, Milan Furniture Fair, Kunst-Werke Institute for Contemporary Art and Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris and published on international magazines such as: A+U, Domus, Abitare, AREA, ARCHIS, ICON, Lotus, 2G, MIT Press, Harvard Design Magazine, Financial Times, Elle, La Repubblica. Stefano Boeri received international prizes and recognitions.
- Bosco Verticale (Vertical Forest) is a model for sustainable residential buildings. A project for metropolitan reforestation that regenerates the environment and the urban biodiversity without expanding the city upon the territory. Vertical Forest is a model of vertical densification of nature within the city. The first unit of Vertical Forest is formed by two residential towers, 119 and 87 meters high, realized in the centre of Milan Isola neighbourhood, that will host 900 trees and over 2000 plants from a wide range of floral species distributed in relation to the façade position towards the sun. The project, inaugurated in October 2104, was awarded the 2014 International Highrise Award. The project was developed and followed by ex firm partners Gianandrea Barreca and Giovanni La Varra.
- Villa Méditerranée opened in 2013 for Marseilles European Capital of Culture as the new Centre Régional de la Méditerranée in Marseille, France. The multifunctional building overlooking the Port of Marseille docks, 9,000sqm, the project points the sea as its space of reference. The seawater is brought into the project through an artificial dock, between the suspended cantilever of 36m and the underwater conference center. The water plaza enclosed in the building interior lounge is the public space that represents the power of the sea.
- Fare di più con meno Il Saggiatore, Milan 2012
- Biomilano. Glossary of Ideas for a Metropolis based around Bio-Diversity Corraini, Mantova 2011
- Anticittà Laterza, Bari 2011
- Effetto Maddalena. Maddalena Effect Rizzoli, Milano 2010
- Cronache dell’abitare Mondadori, Milano,2007
- Il territorio che cambia Associazione Interessi Metropolitani 1993, con Arturo Lanzani e Edoardo Marini
- Mutations Actar, Barcelona 2000, with Rem Koolhaas, Hans Ulrich Obrist, Sandford Kwinter
- USE Uncertain States of Europe Skirà, Milan 2002