Stefano Satta Flores
|Stefano Satta Flores|
January 14, 1937|
|Died||October 22, 1985
|Other names||Stefano Sattaflore|
|Spouse(s)||Carla German (one daughter, actress Francesca Satta Flores)|
|Partner(s)||Teresa Ricci (one daughter, actress Margherita Ricci Satta Flores)|
Born in Naples, Italy, Satta Flores graduated from the Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia in the Italian capital city of Rome. He began acting in amateur dramatics at the Piccolo Teatro, where he acted in Shakespeare and Sbragia plays. He made his cinema debut in the film The Lizards (I basilischi), premiered by filmmaker Lina Wertmüller in 1963.
In 1972 Satta Flores appeared in Four Flies on Grey Velvet (4 mosche di velluto grigio, Argento), but did not really establish himself in cinema until 1974, when he appeared in the film of Ettore Scola We All Loved Each Other So Much (C'eravamo tanto amati), where he shared leading roles with Stefania Sandrelli, Vittorio Gassman, Nino Manfredi, Aldo Fabrizi and Giovanna Ralli.
He also appeared in Salon Kitty (1976), Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (Kotcheff, 1978), The Terrace (La terrazza, Scola, 1980) and One Hundred Days in Palermo (Cento giorni a Palermo, Tornatore, 1984), playing a variety of roles in more than 60 films,
His role as the smuggler and rakish hero Han Solo in the original Star Wars trilogy was instrumental in establishing the importance of star power in Italian voice acting. He also used his voice talents in Alien, as the fearless Captain Dallas, as well as in 10, as the romantically-obsessed songwriter George Webber.
An eloquent spokesman on artistic and social issues of the day, he also was a respected playwright and occasionally acted in television programs. A political commitment, he founded the company I compagni di scena (The Companions of the Scene) with which he devoted himself to research work on alternative tests.
Stefano Satta Flores died in Rome at the age of 48 years, following complications from leukemia treatment.
- Italian cinema and modern European literatures, 1945-2000 – Carlo Testa. Publisher: Greenwood Publishing Group Incorporated, 2000. Format: Hardcover, 288pp. Language: English. ISBN 978-0-275-97522-7
- The Motion Picture Guide 1986 Annual: The Films of 1985 – Jay Robert Nash, Stanley Ralph Ross. Publisher: CineBooks, 1987. Format: Hardcover, 450pp. Language: English. ISBN 0-933997-14-0
- Stefano Satta Flores at AllMovie
- Stefano Satta Flores at the Internet Movie Database
- La Storia di Napoli - Biography
- C'eravamo tanto amati on YouTube