|Born||June 1, 1985 (age 29)
Chemnitz, East Germany
|Genres||Technical death metal
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, piano, drums|
|RAN Custom Guitars
Steffen Kummerer (born June 1, 1985) is a German guitarist, multi-instrumentalist and producer. Steffen is leader, main songwriter, vocalist, and guitarist of the successful death metal band Obscura as well as the black metal band Thulcandra in which he is the only remaining founding member. Additionally, he is also a touring member of the band Death. Kummerer's custom guitars have become a signature shape unique to him and his band Obscura.
Early life & Education
Steffen Kummerer was born in Chemnitz, East Germany, on 1 June 1985. He started playing keyboard at the age of 9 and later learned to play guitar, bass and drums. In addition, Kummerer has an engineering degree, and received his graduate degree after the completion of the Omnivium record.
In 2002 Steffen Kummerer begun to study guitar and founded the progressive death metal band Obscura. In 2003 he created the black metal group Thulcandra. Both bands received international respect, Obscura released three full length albums and one demo and gained worldwide recognition, Thulcandra released two full length and one demo up to date.
In 2009, the album Cosmogenesis was released via Relapse Records and cracked the US Newcomer Billboard. Two years later in 2011, Omnivium entered Billboard charts again and sold 2,000 records within the first week in the USA alone, and while the record also landed on the Germany's Newcomer Charts.
Steffen also produces various video clips and art. Best known examples include his work for the song "Anticosmic Overload" and graphic concepts for both of his bands. Since 2013 Steffen teaches audio & video production at Landshut University of Applied Sciences.
Kummerer endorses RAN guitars, ENGL amplification, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Jericho Cases & tc electronic. Since 2003, he has played RAN custom built guitars exclusively in both 6-string and 7-string versions. All guitars he uses feature EMG pickups.
- RAN SK signature 6-string guitar (2003) with EMG 81 pickup
- RAN SK signature 7-string guitar (2010) with EMG 707 pickup
- RAN SK signature 7-string guitar (2011) with EMG 81-7 pickup
- RAN SK signature 6-string guitar (2014) with EMG 81 pickup
- Illegimitation (Demo) - (2003)
- Retribution - (2006)
- Cosmogenesis - (2009)
- Omnivium - (2011)
- Illegimitation (Compilation) - (2012)
- Perishness Around Us - (2004)
- Fallen Angel's Dominion - (2010)
- Under a Frozen Sun - (2011)
- guest solo on Wraithcult (Germany) Gestalt - (2013)
- guest solo on Over Your Threshold (Germany) Facticity - (2012)
- guest vocals on Pequod (Germany) Forgotten - (2011)
- guest vocals on Hokum (Germany) The Creation of Pain (2011)
- guest solo on Disdained (Serbia) The Last Opus EP - (2010)
- bass, Black Horizons (Germany) - (2003-2004)
- guitar, Festering Saliva (Germany) - (2005-2006)
- guitar, Helfahrt (Germany) - (2006-2007)
- vocals & guitar, Death (USA) - (2013)
- "OBSCURA, STEFFEN KUMMERER EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW!", SkullsNBones, March 25, 2011
- Obscura frontman Steffen Kummerer talks Omnicium", Metal Underground, Ty Arthur
- "OBSCURA Interview with Steffen Kummerer", Xplosive Metal, March 2011, Caroline Restiaux
- Steffen Kummerer’s (Obscura) Top 5 Swedish Death/Black Metal Albums